Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Single Legger VR or VS to Tow a Boat?

dream888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1, BMW Convertible
Hi Guys

New here.. I've had a search around by can't find any info to my exact question.

So.. here is my situation:

I would like to buy a commodore to tow a 1 ton boat.

I really don't want to get anything older than a VR - and I don't want to purchase a 4WD..

On a decent boat ramp would I have issues with a single legger VR or VS? These cars seem very affordable and have good towing capabilities but i'm skeptical about the traction.

I was thinking I might have problems on the boat ramp, so thought I would look for a V8 which all have LSD diffs (+ hey, a V8 is always fun). Would the LSD give me enough traction to get up the ramp on low tide? The ramp is fairly good quality.

If anyone here has experience launching a similar size boat with their V6 single legger, or LSD/ V8 etc I'd appreciate any comments.

Cheers
Dave

VS-S

Fruiterer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S
Hey man I have no experience what so ever, BUT I reckon the weight of the boat would be enough to keep the wheels from spinning.

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
depends on how wet the ramp is u might get some spin but if ur smart about it u can get it off the ramp with hardly any issues but would recommend trying a slow start in first gear, i have used a vs, vp, vr to tow car trailers and have no trouble with them at a hill start

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
hrm, find a car yard close by with 1 for sale, take it for a test drive, hook up the boat and see what happens :p

i've had a tandem & vt sedan behind a single spinner vn v6 before and never had a traction issue (even managed to beat the other lane across intersections from a red light.... few different cars and won each time..... they obviously couldn't drive) the boat ramps that come to mind from experience are rough concrete with bigger rocks thrown in the mix, decent angle... usually designed to grip better than tar....

workvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute / ve thunder
Hey. I have never had a problem pulling mine out of the ramp. And it's heavier than that. Just don't mash the go peddle and you will be ok.
Mine is a ute though with tools in the back.

dream888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1, BMW Convertible
Hey guys.

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like a single legger should be able to do the job, with some care.

Obviously if i can find something with a LSD that would be nice, but we'll see how it goes.

Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
A V8 will not make it grip better, and don't count on a LSD to grip better as they wear out and are slipping after about 100,000km. Keep as much weight as possible in the boot to keep weight on the rear wheels, and always carry a tow rope!

aj159

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CALAIS
My dad used to own a vs calais and towed his 2.5 ton boat... only problem he ever had was at boat ramps with sand... always bogged but that was a really heavy boat so he went 4X4 but for a one ton boat should be no worries... towed my jet ski to boat ramps and never got bogged once... alot lighter than one tonne though

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get an auto, manuals make it harder unless you know how to slip a clutch but expect it to wear out quicker. Unless the factory LSD is worn out it will be fine in a straight line. Cheap enough to get rebuilt anyway.

The biggest issue is how the weight is distributed on the trailer and towbar. Generally boats tend to be ass heavy once on the trailer because any water (and other weight like a good load of fish) in the boat will be at the back tending to try and lift the rear of the car.

Also, if you do get an auto, make sure you fit the biggest trans cooler you can fit and service the transmission regularly.

Cheers

BxTom

Reaction score
I have a 5.2 mtr fibreglass halfcabin with a mercury 60 hp on it which I would say is about 800 kg or more in weight. I have no trouble on ramps with it. Mine is a 1995 VS V6 auto sedan and, as others have said, the auto is a lot better at ramps. Beware that if you are towing a boat in a commodore, make sure you have an automatic Transmission cooler and an upgraded towbar. I Have the 1200KG (I think) which has the extra bracing in the boot.

Cheers,
Tom.