Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

herminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Removing VP gauges/speedo to fix dry solder join voltage regulator 3 pin

scrapvn said:
I just realised that on my tacho dash, all i did was remove the clear plastic front and surround. Then i undid the 3 nuts holding the tacho in place and removed the tacho. Then i took out the small circuit board at the back and thats where the voltage regulator was. Resoldered that and replaced all parts and it worked. I never had to touch the needles on any of the gauges. I wonder if its different with non tacho dashes?

See my recent post VP Instrument Upgrade - Low Fuel Light / Trip Computer for a photo of the voltage regulator.:wave:

Same for non-tacho dashes.

I've taken out the speedo by removing a few screws from the back & unplugging the flat connector. Don't work from the front by removing the small screws on the front/indicator needles.:bang:

fortydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx wagon
my fuel guage needle has stopped responding and ever since, the battery warning lamp is lit. What is even more perplexing, the lamp is quite bright during daylight motoring but then seems to dim somewhat during the night.

The needle miraculously worked on one occassion and the batt lamp was out. Next trip however, needle dead and lamp again on.
I've had a bit of a poke around the fuel tank end with the multimeter and couldn't find a fault so what do you blokes reckon? Rip the dash apart and give it a squirt or maybe the sender is cactus??
Any help, much appreciated.

Last edited:

fortydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx wagon
Oh, the trip and odometer have given up the ghost.

The long term side-effects of the dash bash I suspect.

herminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Dead dash - do you think you had the faulty voltage regulator with dry joint?

You might need to resolder that.

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
mine fuel gauge moves up and down as im driving, will this thred make my fuel gauge stay in one stop while im driving?

vnstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina s1 5.0L
both my fuel and temp where sticking, i was a regular dash basher.

the thing was, put a half a tank of fuel in and it would work fine... but once it got below a 1/4 it never showed anything - unless i bashed it.

it turns out that the voltage regulator was fine... the 2 contacts on the flex which connected to the plug where oxidized (a visible black layer on the copper strip) and wouldnt conduct at low voltage.

thanks for the post though... made it easier to pull it out and check it.

stu

XSS1VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
I did this mod and it works well

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
G'day all
just finished fitting a tacho dash to a vn wagon and found tacho sticking. Pulled cluster apart and found tacho needle moving freely. Reinstall and started sticking again but what is confusing me is the standard dash i took out the fuel gauge (where the tacho now is) also used to stick. Any ideas would be great. Cheers.