Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

vt2nv

Reaction score
hey how ya goin man does this solution onli work for the dashes that work sumtimes, cuz my piece of sh!!@# doesent work after its been smashed more than paris hilton

mad13b

Reaction score
Given your soldering a PCB Board do you need a low voltage/low heat soldering iron, otherwise you risk stuffing the board?????

I had this problem with another item i soldered, use a normal soldering iron and blew the board without even realising it. There are soldering irons especialy desined for pcb boards.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
how long did you leave the iron on there for? you can use any soldering iron as long as you're careful.

its just a matter of how you place the tip(must be a clean tip that flows solder nicely), and how long its there for.

ive used some nasty soldering irons and never blown anything.

joeallen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 WH Statesman
I hope not too many people are removing the steering wheel to get the VP dash off. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO DO THIS!!!!!!! Several times I have removed the vp dash jut by removing 4 screws, the switch wires, and the speedo cable. Take the Gregory instructions with a grain of salt, I have found a few shortcuts around their instructions.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you've got a speedo cable in your vp? ive only ever had to unscrew the switch surround, unplug switches and pull out the cluster

joeallen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 WH Statesman
Hmmmm, not sure about the cable, now that you mention it. It's been awhile since I had the pod out.

holdenrules

Reaction score
There is no speedo cable, it's all electronic.

The only mechanical part is the speedo sender which is bolted onto the transmission extension housing at the back (toward the drive shaft) which sends the signal.

Last edited:

BURK_POP

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute 3.8 auto
if i give u my address can u please come and do it for me cause i owould stuff it up hehe

rredbeak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Lexcen commodore
can someone post a pic of the location of the 5Volt regulator on the TACHO vp dash cluster please...PJ

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, if any1 does this can they put pics up? The Statesman dash has no circuit board under the guage, unless it's under the speedo, and my fuel guage is sticky...