Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound deadener

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
lol that would be great if Dynamat Xtreme, Second Skin etc. were ashphalt based mate... but they're not. They're butyl based.

Hmm... well I take that back then! :whistling

That said, I used two packs of Dynamat Extreme on my old VT, and I never really felt like I got my moneys worth from it. I got it relatively cheap on eBay, but even so it wasn't all that they make it out to be.

I did the inner and outer panels of the doors, plus the boot. If I'd known about the Jaycar stuff I reckon I would have tried that and been a few hundred bucks richer for it!

PS. search Jaycar for "sound deadener", they have a bunch of products, I only chose that one because it looked the closest to Dynamat.

PPS. one thing Dynamat has going for it is you get free stickers (if that's your thing! ;) )

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hmm... well I take that back then! :whistling

That said, I used two packs of Dynamat Extreme on my old VT, and I never really felt like I got my moneys worth from it. I got it relatively cheap on eBay, but even so it wasn't all that they make it out to be.

I did the inner and outer panels of the doors, plus the boot. If I'd known about the Jaycar stuff I reckon I would have tried that and been a few hundred bucks richer for it!

PS. search Jaycar for "sound deadener", they have a bunch of products, I only chose that one because it looked the closest to Dynamat.

PPS. one thing Dynamat has going for it is you get free stickers (if that's your thing! ;) )

I wouldn't buy Dynamat either because its so expensive, I imported RaamMat which is another Butyl based sound deadener which performs very well but is cheaper than Dynamat Xtreme. All Butyl sound deadeners are reasonably expensive though as its an expensive product.

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
I just did my boot lid useing expanding foam...
To be perfectly honest, it made a heap of differance...
Just a messy job..

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
That stops vibrations between the boot lid and bracing. Deadening is different, it stops resonances of metal panels.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
I used stinger roadkill in my boot its slightly cheaper than dynamat but not by much if I had the choice again I wouldnt of bothered with it as I got better results from filling the boot with spacefoam from bunnings

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi guys,
Sorry to bring up a older thread. I've got a sound deadening question.
I've just got my new sub and it's making my boot rattle so much it's not funny. I've got Dynamat in my boot lid but it's still shaking. If I put another layer of deadening ontop of the previous will it be better? I'd go with a cheaper deadening such as the Jaycar one mentioned.

Also, my rear windscreen seems to be shaking aswell, is there anything to I can do to reduce the pressure on the windscreen? The sub I'm using is a Hifonic Olympus 2412 (2400rms at 1ohm).

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
You wanna find out what is actually rattling. Dynamat blocks noise from outside, its not so much for rattles.

Often two things in the boot that rattle are 1) the lock mechanism for the boot, 2) the license plate and/or frame.