Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound Quality Subs?

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
Hey all,

I'm after a SQ sub that can run off my 4ch amp that has 280watts at 4ohm when on the remaining 2 channels, do you guys have any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a Focal Polyglass series sub?
Up to around $500 for sub itself then I'll get a box to suit.

I've had a few loud subs with terrible sq, which is even more evident now that I have the nice splits up front.

Thanks all.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Not Polyglass.
Crescendo Etude 2.10 RRP$399
Morel Ultimo SC124 RRP$498 (my pick)
Image Dynamics IDQ12 V.3 RRP$549
DLS Reference RW12 RRP$409 (maybe only available in 2ohm?)

The Morel is my pick, hands down. It's bigger brother is one of the nicest SQ subs I have ever listened to. Don't forget that is only RRP, you will be able to get a little cheaper.

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
Thankyou heaps :)
Don't see many threads online about sq it's all about spl. Ever since getting the Focal 165kr splits up front it's made my sub sound extremely 'muddy' if that's the right term? And it ruins it all.

Where would you rate the Focal 33 KX in there? I can get it brand new in the box for $500 this weekend (RRP is $1029)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries mate. There is a forum dedicated to car sound, with a lot of sq. I rate the 33kx very highly, I've only heard in 1 car before, very nice indeed, strong yet transparent bass, I enjoyed. That's a very good deal, be sure it's genuine etc :)

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
The focal splts and id subs sound great,but if you can spare the dollars get a bitone or bit ten makes a huge difference if set up properley.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree, processors can be good, but I am not a fan of either Audison processors.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
The Alpine PXA-H800 is much more user friendly than the Bit One or Bit Ten. Much easier to tune for the novice.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I agree, processors can be good, but I am not a fan of either Audison processors.
I haven't used any but have heard good things about both the Alpine and Audison products. What don't you like about them? Have you used them?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't owned either Audison processors, don't get me wrong they are an amazing piece of gear, but there are better things available now I think (Misconi, Arc Audio, JBL) and the H800, the main experiences I've had is from people running them in the MEASQ competitions, the main issue was introducing a lot of noise from the BitOne, especially when using speaker level inputs with factory integration, a reason why a lot of people buy them. People's scores often suffered from the processor and some of the noises were not able to be fixed in the stereo, some people have changed from BitOne to H800 with great results, more friendly for DIY too. Having said that, if you are paying a shop I have seen FHRX install 3 now without any noise. Still, I would prefer the H800.

vrollin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Got two 27V1 plyglass subs in my ute, cant recommend them enough...