Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plug leads

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi everyone,

Well the ute is misfiring underload, so Im going to change the spark plugs and leads in it.
One of the leads got damaged as I was pulling by the cord instead of the head of the lead (whoops).

Question is, are genuine leads better or just use some Bosch or Top Gun ones?

Thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I just used Bosch as they were the cheapest and they are pretty good quality. It's debatable whether expensive ones work any better.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The main thing is replacing them regularly as the voltages they carry these days is very high with EFI,so they dont last very long anyway compared to how long they'd last years ago with the old points systems..a set of leads would last for years back then..I replace mine on my VS every 12 months.

HOLDENFAN

Reaction score
I think I paid $60 for a set of eagle 8mm. They are probably the most highly recommended aftermarket ones. Its just the insulation thats a bit thicker, not the actual core itself. If your leads are rooted any new set will do the job though.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
i believe that genuine leads are heaps better than top gun but i guess it's like everything else, there are lots of different opinions.all i know for sure is that i tried top gun leads a couple of years ago and they were breaking down after 50,000km.i usually change my genuine leads every 80,000km which is before i notice them breaking down.as far as plugs go.genuine or ngk,i can't complain about either. don't overlook the possibility that your coil pack could also need replacing.good luck.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Genuines the way to go.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Will check out some prices for leads at Repco and Supercheap tomorrow.
There is a full service kit and all on Ebay with genuine leads for a pretty good price, although I'd like the car running again this weekend.

How do you know or how can I test the coilpack?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the primary resistance 0.3 - 1.5 and secondary resistance 5 - 7 kohms.