Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plug order VE 6-cyl

swmcl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 sedan - ex police
I know, a really simple question but have you tried to find it in a search ?

Can someone let me know the order from the front of the car please ? There is a plate with a long engine number on it and it starts with LY7...

I have no idea whether it is the same for other Commodore V6 engines.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
The cylinder closest to the front is #1. Even though it's a V engine, they are slightly offset banks so they can attach to the crank. In this engine that's the driver's side front. So #2 is front passenger, #3 is driver's etc etc. The firing order in this is 1-2-3-4-5-6 (seriously).

I'm fairly sure that rule of cylinder closest to the front is always the case for every engine in all cars of all configurations (straight, V, boxer and I guess rotary as well - if they're called cylinders). I hope that's what you were after.

swmcl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 sedan - ex police
Hmmm.

Well thank you but ...

The emergency happened last night so I spent some time fixing the car.

As it happened I decided to replace the spark plug on the front left cylinder (as you stand at the front of the car looking at the engine). The Dash Command software was calling a misfire on #2 cylinder. The problem of a misfiring engine and a vibrating engine has gone.

So I have guessed correctly but it would be contrary to your advice unfortunately.

Perhaps my engine is different.

Cheers,

Steve

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Definitely 123456

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Glad you got it sorted. Looking into it, it appears the Gregory's is wrong and you are correct. I took another look, and the book does say the driver's side is #1 on the V6 and the passenger side is #1 on the V8. But looking at pics of the intake manifold, the passenger side appears to be the front most cylinder on the LY7 engine. The SIDI looks to be the other way. I actually have the LY7 also, and I had a misfire once on #5 which my memory said was the passenger side. But I just took a quick look at the book and didn't check, so put it down to bad memory. Apologies for the dud info mate.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
#1 is driver's side front. 1,3, 5 drivers side. 2,4,6 passenger side. Firing order1,2,3,4,5,6.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Can anyone explain why the O.P swmcl, fixed his issue changing the front drivers if that is suppose to be #1?

swmcl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 sedan - ex police
He hasn't !

The problem is back again. It is a temperamental beast. Today is a really hot day compared to recent weeks and the problem is very much front-and-centre. The whole car is shaking.

So the consensus is that the odd-numbered cylinders are on the driver's side and the even-numbered cylinders are on the passenger side ... Yes ?

Looks like #1 just got a new plug and coil ... god I hate working on hot motors.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you do 1 spark plug do all of them they will likely all be in similar condition and next week you could have a misfire on number 3, then 4 then 5 ;)

swmcl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 sedan - ex police
OK update...

My 'misfiring' issues were not spark plugs nor coils.

I have a dual fuel VE II MY11 and it was temporary electrical connection failures in the LPG injectors. A really tricky thing to find mind you. I've not only tried to repair the connections but I've also had to rotate the solenoids 180 degrees to keep the wiring harness off the plenum chamber.

The most significant part of the solution? Use carbon conductive silicon grease (from Jaycar) on electrical connections to the solenoids. It works fantastic. Just a little and not enough to have the connections plastered in the stuff of course.

In fact, a little conductive grease on all vehicle electrics wouldn't hurt. It keeps corrosion away and improves contact life and lowers contact resistance.

Now I just need to fix the issue whereby the gas is leaking into the cooling system at the converter...

This car is only 5 years old but it was a cop car and I guess the NSW govt. doesn't give a damn about maintenance.