Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute Handbrake issues

Howard's ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder Ute
I have a vzss ute and the handbrake woorks well with the nose pointed downhill but if it points uphill (ie the car wants to roll backwards) the handbrake won't hold. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Holden V8 SS Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VN Track Car
I have a vzss ute and the handbrake woorks well with the nose pointed downhill but if it points uphill (ie the car wants to roll backwards) the handbrake won't hold. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

yes i have a VZ ss and i have the same issue when towing the boat and putting the handbrake on

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8

Thanks

Auto? Manual?

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
just get underneath and tighten the cable. all a hand brake is, is a drum brake in the rears. Dunno if the VZ is the same as the older models, but it should have a couple of nuts on a long threaded bolt with the cable looping around it, it right under the handbrake, under the car (obviously).

DVOLVO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE / 5 Litre Volvo /Trusty Swift

Howard's ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder Ute

Thanks

It's manual and YES i have tried adjusting it. As I said it works fine forward but will not stop the car from rolling backward. Bit sad when you are launching a jet ski on a steep boat ramp.

MUT4NT

RatRod Gem Wagon?
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH international// Gemini Wagon
just pull the handbrake up higher haha...all i do and yes i have a ute but not Vy Vz...and yeah its an SS

Howard's ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder Ute
Thanks Mut4nt your advice has been as useful as a FPV supporters shirt.

turbobrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS Commodore 6 speed.
Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I have the same issue, handbrake locks the wheels and is great moving forwards, but sit on a hill and apply the brake, and the car will roll backwards as if the handbrake has never been applied.

Can wack the bugger in reverse, apply the handbrake as hard as possible, and it will drive backwards like it's not even on.

I can verify that the cable is tighter than a nun's nasty on a Sunday pray-day, and as said, it takes 6 clicks to go from driving forward to skidding sideways, but it's just reverse that's stuffed.

Quite a pain in the backside!