Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

starter motor dead how do u fit a new one?

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
Before you go changing it make sure it's buggerd because awhile ago i had the same problem and i went and brought another stater. Which was a waste of time check that all your wiring is on tight especially where it conects to the starter motor.I'd turn key then afew seconds later it would crank over then somtimes it would'nt at all then 10 mins or even an hour later she would kick over no problem.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
PaRaDoX616 said:
tried it, starter HAS been identified as the problem, the solonoid is dead, got a replacement reco one for $30 today

got showed how to do it, gotta unbolt headers and remove them, then from there it should be easy to remove it, nice job for tommorrow
you should be able to get the starter out without taking your headers off unless they are aftermarket headers.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
all done, car starts fine

was a pain in the ass, borrowed some car stands, used them in conjunction with the jack, no chance it was gonna fall on me......

the old starter motor wasnt the original... was smaller... still bosch but just diffrent, only had the 2 bolts at the end... the new one had 3 bolts soo... yeah extractors had to come off, they wernt hard to remove...

anyone trying to atempt this... remember to take a picture or write down the spark plug configuration.. .spent 20 mins figuring out the firing order before

got a look at my fly wheel... didnt look too good, probbly need a new on in the next year or so... wasnt too bad but...

thinking of upgrading the flywheel/torque converter... thinking 2500-3000rpm stall, whatchya think??? what brands are good???

VN-88

fiery red vn manual
Reaction score
victoria , lakes entrance, u live there tell me!!
Members Ride
vn v6 s1 manual
glad too see you managed to do it ok. aslong as u had fun doing it and learnt some stuff other wise its not worth doing things your self. but yeah its an easy job to do wen u no wat ur doing. uve got a few more post then me now. keyboard ahsnt been working lately so its been hard to post.

and as for the up greade i dont no any good brands but any decent mod is always good

GLDNVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VQ STATESMAN 5.0
Hrmmmm Well I gotta question too, I dunno if its my Starter Motor, I go to turn it over, and it makes that terrible errhhhhh sound.
What is it?, the Starter Motor or the "Flexplate"/Fywheel.
BTW, its a 91 VQ Statesman 5.0.