Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering, stiff and loud?

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Executive Commodore
Hey guys. First let me say i don't know a lot about the technical side of cars.

I drive a VR exec.

• Car is impossible to dry steer with or steer when the car is travelling less than around 5km an hour
  • The steering is so heavy and it makes a loud noise, feels like im having to use my whole body weight to turn the wheel.
  • When car is travelling at a decent speed, steering is perfectly fine.

Today i saw a bloke down street wearing a kmart auto shirt, so i asked him about it, and he said it could be the power steering pump, then said im looking at around $300-400 for a new one. He said this without seeing or trying my steering.

Power steering fluid is full so i guess it can't be that.

Now, the big question: i have another VR commodore (station wagon) which is just sitting there, would it be possible to replace the power steering pump from my other vehicle?

Thanks guys.:yeah:

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
It does sound like your power steering pump is shot. You should be able to swap your pump over from your other car, I just dont think it will be a fun job.

Although keep in mind, noone here hasd driven your car or inspected your power steering pump either - so our opinions are really no better than that of the kmart auto guy.

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
It does sound like your power steering pump is shot. You should be able to swap your pump over from your other car, I just dont think it will be a fun job.

How much do you think a mechanic would do it for and how long do you think it'd take him?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
what colour is the fluid - is it bright red or blackish ? should be red

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
could also be your steering rack.. but if the wheel vibrates and u hear humming my moneys on power steering pump

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
Yup, if you hear moaning noise when steering (from what I have read your case would have been worse compared to mine) its either power steering pump leak and/or power steering rack.

I will need to get my car fixed on that issue.

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys, just checked my receipt for the car.

24/09/08 - PSR812 - Power Steering Rack $360
+ $100 labour

This was put in 1-2 weeks before i bought the car?

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
Brand new pump from supercheap is $183, would take about 30 mins to change yourself, if the rack is done as you say then change the pump, you could try a 2nd hand one from wreckers as an exchange unit, or rebuild your pump for around $30 with a kit from holden

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
got a recond pump of ebay with a years warrenty for 100 bucks and a rack with a years warrenty for 250, much better price than autopro without warrenty, their price was 200 odd for the pump recond and 440 for the rack. its ya pump if u keep driving it u will do ya rack too

when my vn was running the pump was shot for a few weeks, finally put a recond one on and a week later the rack blew the seal cap out the side and took out my new pump