Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock 304, Guide to choosing a camshaft

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute, VN V8 Berlina Wags
Thats the 4502 again.
I'm running that in mine. Makes heaps straight from idle. But I am 9.1comp and 355" with alloy heads etc.

It's a good thought of a cam, (long intake duration to make up for shitty stock intake). But maybe a little large for your prescribed application.
P.S the stock intake is great for the first half of the rpm range and for making mass torque etc.

Maybe you just clean up the heads, sneak a little more comp, good exhaust and see how it goes. Put a small cam in there and just enjoy the lower rpm range.
torque is awesome.
Yeah the heads will just have the std bowl cleanup and will be running 9.5ish comp hopefully.
Which 1 wood u choose
  • Duration: 258/262 @ advertised 202/206 duration @ .050”.
  • Valve Lift: .450”/.450” LC 112
  • Or
    • Duration: 260/260 @ advertised 206/206 duration @.050”.
    • Valve Lift: .463”/.463” LC 112
    • Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The 268 is what you're describing with the second option. It won't give you a lumpy idle, but they sound noticeably more aggressive than a stock 304 under acceleration.

The 4502 will give you the idle you want, as will a 276 if you're looking at cost effective off the shelf grinds. Whichever way you go, you'll need to rev it to make good power. But will still certainly cruise nicely and be bearable with a stock stall (although you'd be better off with something like a 2500rpm converter to stop it wanting to creep forward at the lights).

Reaction score
Members Ride
The 268 is what you're describing with the second option. It won't give you a lumpy idle, but they sound noticeably more aggressive than a stock 304 under acceleration.

The 4502 will give you the idle you want, as will a 276 if you're looking at cost effective off the shelf grinds. Whichever way you go, you'll need to rev it to make good power. But will still certainly cruise nicely and be bearable with a stock stall (although you'd be better off with something like a 2500rpm converter to stop it wanting to creep forward at the lights).
Thats not what i wanted to hear lol.
This is really hard. Functionality over sound lol

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I've got the 4502 in mine , engine's stock except for larger throttlebody, the normal stuff you renew when doing a cam and exhaust, pacemakers twin cats into a single 3". Had it tuned. Just had auto rebuilt as it **** itself , went off auto transmission mechanic, kept stall standard just stronger box with shift kit. He thought tune could be better but he also thought he could do rear main seal so not sure but I am going to get it tuned again. With the new box noticed that even with about 1/4 throttle off lights I'm going ok I didn't think I was doing that speed. It does seem to be in a bit of a hole in that 80 km to 110 km zone , running standard 308 diff so 110 is about 1900 rpm very noticeable on hills and will struggle to accelerate in that circumstance in top but get it into 3rd and yeah great. It really comes alive from 2500 rpm. As Eyy said it does want to creap at lights ,I don't think annoyingly but you need your foot on brakes more than when standard.
Idle sounds good,nothing radical but if you know what you're listening to you can tell it's cammed. Lots of people say it sounds great, one friend said it sounds more old school which is kinda cool.
Oh yeah its my daily and I'm more than happy.
With more work done to engine it'd be even better. Hope this helps.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah the heads will just have the std bowl cleanup and will be running 9.5ish comp hopefully.
Which 1 wood u choose
  • Duration: 258/262 @ advertised 202/206 duration @ .050”.
  • Valve Lift: .450”/.450” LC 112
  • Or
    • Duration: 260/260 @ advertised 206/206 duration @.050”.
    • Valve Lift: .463”/.463” LC 112
    • Cheers
If those are your only 2 options. Go with the second one.

Reaction score
Members Ride
So looking at a camtech cam 264 264 /214 214 /480 480/ 112 and like the post at tge begining says h276 (engine build said as big as i wood wanna go with what im intenting for the car)
I start ordering parts this week so what do u guru's think of the camtech specs.
So im down to 3 choices sv5000 cam, camtech or h276.
Camtech seems to b in the middle of these??? Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As said above, even with the baby 268 you'll need to push harder on the brake pedal at lights which becomes annoying in daily driver. If you want a car that's easy to live with, it's critical that you choose parts that work together to give you the overall result.

To get the most out of that cam you'd want a something like a 2400-2500rpm converter. You can put a 286 in a stock comp 304 and it might sound tough but it'll be gutless off the bottom, be inefficient and won't give you great results - but you still wouldn't 'need' a hi stall converter. To get the best results you need to match EVERYTHING.

If you're unsure about cam size, always better err on the side of too small as to too big.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
As said above, even with the baby 268 you'll need to push harder on the brake pedal at lights which becomes annoying in daily driver. If you want a car that's easy to live with, it's critical that you choose parts that work together to give you the overall result.

To get the most out of that cam you'd want a something like a 2400-2500rpm converter.
Ok cheers. I drop my auto off this week for a freshen up so will het a stall at same time. Budget is really starting to stretch. Lol.
Well ill just spend the money i had 4 cosmetics on rest of driveline. At least then all driveline and suspension will b rebuilt.
Paint can wait