Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange Transmission Problems

J.P.R.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Heyho

I am a backpacker from Germany and me and my girldfriend, we bought a 2001 Holden Commodore VX stationwagon (about 270k’s). Everything was going quite well, but now the auto-transmission or something related to it is doing some strange things...

A couple of days ago I suddenly noticed, that the gear somehow “slipped” off several times when going up a steep hill or when pushing the gas-pedal rough. It felt like the transmission can’t decide wether to shift down or not (you could feel the sudden and short de-acceleration). The problem got worse over the next approximately 50k’s so that in the end it didn’t feel very well when I had to reverse or start driving on a slight hill or even on a level…
I checked the fluid-level immediately and found, it had to be refilled, so I bought some liquid and did so. When I started driving the next day, everything seemed to go ok again for the first 20k’s, then the problem started again to increase like the day before. And this is more or less how the situation is today… I had to fill up several times, as I didn’t want to overfill the transmission, and I noticed, I have some liquid dripping of about the vicinity, where the transmission should be. I crawled underneath the car and with some pliers I tightened the bolts (some of them were really loose, two screws are missing -> trouble??). Somehow it seems that the leaking has stopped, but the problem is still there...

No errorcodes, alsways "0012 0012 0012..."

Can anybody give me some advice? Is there maybe anything I can do or check? I'd appreciate any help :)

Thank you for your answer :)
J.P.R.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
code 12 normal no problem (your english is very good )

I wish you did have automatic fault codes they are fixable

unless the tranny computer has gone in to fail; safe you would only have reverse and third and would not change gear

was the oil coming from the pan bolts or else where ..did you use dexron lll tranny oil

Last edited:

J.P.R.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Hey,
thanks for your answer:

I'm not sure where the fluid was coming from. When I looked underneath the first time I saw it gathering on the lowest part of the pan, maybe the car was standing slightly heading uphill (3 drops were forming, one on each side and one in the middle). Then when I crawled to have a close look the bolts were wet as well. It seemed to me really just as the pan was not sealing properly, the edges of the pan were shimmering wet...

Whatever, I filled up the proper dexron III.

What really confuses me is, that every morning everything seems to work perfectly normal...? So actualy that means to me: The gears itselves should be mechanicaly alright...? I still hope it's just a low-cost problem...

Eventually I should add, I had the feeling since we bought the car about 6 weeks ago, it sometimes showed a similar fault, but way less intense: Just when going up a hill and you were driving in 4th gear with about 85 and loosing speed because you were pushing the gas-pedal just slightly, it seemed to need a few seconds till it decided to shift down...?

Man this is so strange...

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Yeah sounds like the pan is leaking due to loose/missing bolts. Tighten what bolts you have on the pan and go to the wreckers and get the ones your missing, put them in and tighten them and then top up tranny oil and see how it goes.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Get those bolts tight and it should stop leaking. You may need to replace the pan gasket if it is really old. Once you get the leak sorted out and it holds trans fluid, should be good to go. If you are stuck , you can use RTV gasket maker silicon from auto parts stores. Just let it cure for 24 hours before you refill the trans.

How are you enjoying the car aside from that? Are you guys driving around Aust?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
after it shifted down up a hill did you regain speed and stop slipping

talking kickdown recovery ...few seconds is normal but it has to pick up speed as it is then in third gear

Last edited:

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
DONT tighten trans sump bolts too much as it will damage the gasket and will leak. As big al said bolts and sealant may get you out of trouble but id go to auto parts shop and ask for trans service kit and some sealant to suit. Kit comes with filter too. Around $30 if i remember correctly. If you want to replace filter it just pulls out and new one push in. Be sure the metal collar on the old filter comes out too. Best of luck.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
DONT tighten trans sump bolts too much as it will damage the gasket and will leak. As big al said bolts and sealant may get you out of trouble but id go to auto parts shop and ask for trans service kit and some sealant to suit. Kit comes with filter too. Around $30 if i remember correctly. If you want to replace filter it just pulls out and new one push in. Be sure the metal collar on the old filter comes out too. Best of luck.
I agree, it is important not to over tighten the pan bolts. The correct torque is 9.5 - 13.8nm, which is less than the torque for a spark plug.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
remember everyone they are back packers --- limited tools and probably no work area .. the pliers a quiet road and gutter may be useful

got a soft spot for backpackers they keep the australian tourist industry ticking over

habe ein Faible für Rucksacktouristen halten sie die australische Tourismusindustrie tickt über

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I don't expect them to have a torque wrench, that is why I made the comparison to the torque of a spark plug, not very tight.