Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

subwoofer not as loud

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
hi guys i did a quick search and couldn't really find anything relevant, anyway i recently removed my headunit amp and sub and gave them to my brother to put into his commodore he also purchased a 4ch amp for his speakers. It's now all installed however the sub doesnt punch nearlly as hard as it used to in my commodore (yes it is on and working), the settings on the headunit are all the same, the same cables were used to wire it up, the only difference was that i didnt run a 4ch amp, he is running two amps. (my original mono one for the sub and his 4ch). Could it be something to do with the amp not receiving enough power from the battery?
thanks heaps guys im so confused

mr.vandervloet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
it could be not enough power from the amp.. depends on how many watts etc... the sub could be to powerful for his amp..

fdbag8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS Thunder
Check the dials on the amp havnt been bumped and changed

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
could be the red and white cables in the back of the headunit (forgot there real name im tired) mine needed to be replace because the headunit crushed them when the previous owner put the headunit back in the car was only giving me half the bass that it Normally Would.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Gosh, the advice from randoms just gets dodgier and dodgier.

As always, please try to provide as much information as possible, makes our jobs a lot easier. Things such as brands, model numbers, independence, RMS wattage etc. should always be provided for us to be able to point you in the right direction.

My guess is that the gain setting on the monoblock amp for the subwoofer is not set correctly. Follow this guide in order to set the gains, to achieve the most out of your amplifiers: Tutorial - Amplifier Gain & Crossover Adjustment - Forums - Mobile Electronics AU

Just remember that the gains setting is not a form of volume control and should never be used as one, as it may ruin your equipment.

If that's not it, then perhaps you have different model commodores and the boot size is larger, affecting the cabin gain?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I agree with MAG00. Could be something as simple as the gain set incorrectly or different boot dimensions.

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
thanks for the reply guys...just to clarify its the same amp and sub that was in my vy, all the cables seem to be fine, its a 12" kicker comp sub with a kicker amp at 4ohms not sure about the RMS. Im going to have a go at the adjusting all the gain on the speakers and sub tomorrow ill let u know how i go

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
While you're at it you may as well just swap the batteries and see if it changes at all. It shouldn't make a difference, but it should take you all of about 5 minutes to cross it off the list.

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
Gosh, the advice from randoms just gets dodgier and dodgier.

everyone is trying to help you dont have to be such a ass clown :)

Sent from my T3020 using Tapatalk