Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharged V6

ozman599

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supermarine
The VZ saw the introduction of the Alloytec V6.
The L67 Supercharged V6 long and short motors are no longer available from Holden. Blew mine last year si I know first hand.

Ouch, what happened. It would be nice to know if these have an inherent weakness:rip:

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Similar sort of thing to this link
http://www.tedbullock.com/Powerplant.html
Except mine is wood not tin and I will be looking for more power than they have hence the plan to intercool. As the prop has a max speed there is no need for an engine that will rev out to a zillion redline.
I believe this engine while quoted as a GM is actually an Isuzu V6. Is it related to the Holden engine at all?

man that's awesome. Super six would love it. Izuzu v6 would be different hazarding a guess.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I feel so nostalgic, mines a series 2 VY, one of the last ever L67's.....it would be nice to see holden re-release the blown range, with say an m112.....;)

nah I reckon an L32 would be nice.....

oh and SirCruise... the VN incarnation of the Buick engine is about the 15th... they were originally designed in 1953

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, without sounding like a smart-ass, and i do mean this in a nice way - i know, lol.
thats why i said "they are quite an old design", they've been round for donkey's years in all sorts of forms, its an interesting history behind that engine though and i dont think many people realise this...so good info none the less mate.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
They are phenominal engines the both of them, their potential is amazing, ECOTEC is easier to get strong power from however the 3800 can go hard as well, just takes a bit extra attention

MyStreetCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
Hello all,
Been lurking for a while trying to learn a bit about the GM V6. Know a fair bit about engines but a novice with these. What is the difference between the earlier V6 and the later ones? I think the early one has something to do with the Buick V6. Is the Ecotec the latest engine or is there a later one.
I have also heard that a new factory built blown V6 can be had for around 6K. Is this true and if so how much is it strengthened over the non blown one (if at all).
So many questions.......
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Steven
Hi Steven,

I have been rebuilding a VS V6 Commodore as an on line project for approx 6 months now.

All details of this build up are posted @ www.mystreetcar.com.au

Hope you are able to find time to check it out................

I have packed it with as much information as I can in an effort to try and demonstrate the amazing potential of the V6 engine and also help people like yourself. I truly agree with credible operations such as Raptor Superchargers that these engine can be transformed into phenominal engines either by means of forced induction (Super charged) or naturally aspirated (Standard induction system).

Hope you find the info you are looking for........

Cheers

Peter

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The VZ saw the introduction of the Alloytec V6.
The L67 Supercharged V6 long and short motors are no longer available from Holden. Blew mine last year si I know first hand.

Ouch, what happened. It would be nice to know if these have an inherent weakness:rip:

Mine is a trasnsplant and as such I bought some one elses slackness.
I'm pretty fustidious with servicing especially oil chnages and was using Castrol edge 10w60 but that doesn't stop the oil pickup from becoming blocked with **** like varnish, rubber, silicone and bits of rubbish from I believe not enough care by previous owner.
This blockage caused my engine to spin a cam bearing and loose all oil pressure.
When I dismantled the engine the oil pick up (the little shroud around the mesh) was completely jammed full of gunk.
I have removed about half of the shroud although a lot of people remove the whole shroud so that the rubbish if any (shouldn't be) should just fall away when engine not running.
Although I had the whole engine rebuilt the bores and pistons were still ok and I could have just replaced the bearings but I decided to do a whole refrsh of the engine.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
nah I reckon an L32 would be nice.....

oh and SirCruise... the VN incarnation of the Buick engine is about the 15th... they were originally designed in 1953

Thats the gen5 m90 is'nt? Spewing ya cant just plug and play!

By the by, the only problem I can think of is by flying, you would be more inclined to pull water into the intake on a L67, and thats a VERY bad thing for the rotors, stripping the coating off, and taking with it all your compression.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
yeah gen5

nah teflon coated pistons would decrease wear caused by friction of the engine, therefore increasing engine efficiency (note tongue in cheek)