Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged VT-VX S packs.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Hey all,
Ive created this thread fora friend of mine who I have convinced to buy a super 6.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying a supercharged 6 with 160kms on the clock? Were will things start to fail first.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I have a VX S Super and the only thing so far I've replaced is the power steering rack which is very common on VT, VX and VYs so yeah look out for that. Other than that they're pretty solid engines.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Worn bushes, burnt trans fluid and excessive charger snout leaks are a sign that the servicing hasn't been too great. Look for signs of it having been modded and returned to stock like marks on the blower snout and varied vacuum lines that may have been altered b4.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Worn bushes, burnt trans fluid and excessive charger snout leaks are a sign that the servicing hasn't been too great. Look for signs of it having been modded and returned to stock like marks on the blower snout and varied vacuum lines that may have been altered b4.
Good point about the marks on blower. Is there anyway to check condition of the blower, is there somewhere to check oil levels in there?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The charger is a pretty robust piece of gear so the only way it could really be damaged is if you came across a car that had had a cooler fitted and then removed at the time of sale.

I fixed up an L67 a while ago that had previously had an A2A kit fitted which requires the vacuum hoses to be extended and diverted. When they sold the car the cooler was removed and all the vacuum hoses were just taped up! To top it all off the 76mm pulley was left on the snout after the cooler was removed. The smallest you could get away with is an 82mm b4 the ecu pulls the timing. This car would have gotten smoked by an Excel.

So be looking under the engine cover for signs of the charger being played with or stuff moved where it shouldn't be.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
The charger is a pretty robust piece of gear so the only way it could really be damaged is if you came across a car that had had a cooler fitted and then removed at the time of sale.

I fixed up an L67 a while ago that had previously had an A2A kit fitted which requires the vacuum hoses to be extended and diverted. When they sold the car the cooler was removed and all the vacuum hoses were just taped up! To top it all off the 76mm pulley was left on the snout after the cooler was removed. The smallest you could get away with is an 82mm b4 the ecu pulls the timing. This car would have gotten smoked by an Excel.

So be looking under the engine cover for signs of the charger being played with or stuff moved where it shouldn't be.
Kool thanks. He is looking for a stocker that hasnt been played with.

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
My advice would be to check over everything else. If you find a stock l67, which I don't think is that hard, the motor itself should be fine. Try for low Ks and newer model, having said that mines a 98 and I very happy with it. Just needs a little bit of tidying up like door seals etc.

I found one with a sunroof, look for things like this that were added on from the factory, like powerwindows. You could go for a calais as some had the l67 and all the goodies.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
That S looks o.k. After buying an S myself I'd be looking more towards a VTII Calais. They can be had for $10000 in good condition. The S is an Exec with nice seats and suspension but no climate control. S paks are a little lighter though, depends what ur mate is after. Also the bodykit on a lais is less protruding so if and when it gets lowered it can be easier to live with in and out of driveways etc

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
I just recently (about 2 weeks ago) picked up a VX series 2 calais with the supercharged 6, leather interior and 106,000 km's on the clock for $12,500..bsaically immac as well with full service history....I dunno how popular the super 6's are on the market atm cos the bloke I bought it off had it at a more reasonable price for about a month before dropping it heaps...not sure exactly on your mates budget but if you set up some searches on carsales and trading post and check them often enough you should come across some decent deals with lower kays