Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Surviving Police Encounters. What are your rights as a Citizen?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
miranda

what are your rights as a citizen

You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
You have the right to an attorney.
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you.
Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Ive been pulled over twice. 1st time they wanted to do a rbt then asked about my warnign lights. (I'm a storm spotter for the B.O.M) I just sat there hands on the steering wheel and complied with what he asked, showed him the lights were amber.

2nd time was a similar thing but with HWP, Guy wanted to check my license and asked about the lights, explained it to him and he had a good laugh with me cause apparently my car was in the system as possibly having police lights, told me to have a good day and we both left happy.

Basically if i get pulled over i Stop immediately, roll down window, turn off stereo and engine, and keep both hands on the wheel unless asked to provide my license or anything else. Its worked so far.

Chris Rock said:
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. So shut up
If you cannot afford an attorney, We will supply you with the dumbest ****ing lawyer on earth.
If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill you

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
what are your rights as a citizen

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you.
Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?

thats only what is read to you at the time of arrest. Im certain it dosent cover everything.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
minux, i thought it was illegal to take photos the beach now a days. what did they do, did you have to show the pictures on your camera?

The beaches I go to rarely have more than 1 person on them. Perfectly legal to use cameras on any beach, there are a few however that require permits.
I am yet to have been asked to show police any image I have taken. I always laugh and ask why police resources are being wasted on such petty crap. I then proceed to flick through some images to show them the nature of my photos, give myself a plug by providing a card, by this time police are asking me to enjoy the rest of the day.

By law, I do not have to show police anything unless they take me in to custody.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
remember this - dont speak in haste to an officer.

99.99% of times tehse days they are recording every encounter (audio). Think ahead.

If you have a legitamate question, dont be afraid to ask it. It's not illegal to ask why. It's not even illegal to ask why me specifically. Make them say what they are doing. Listen, then if need be say your piece.

It's operfectly fine to get them to justify their actions. But you had better comply with any instructions they have.

my cousin got arrested for exactly this in brisbane a few weeks back, completely sober and got thrown in the drunk tank for asking why her brother was being arrested :banstick:

VS-S-PACK-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Just a quick question, is it true that if you get followed by the police and u are able to make it home and into your driveway (off public property) are they legally allowed to search your car? coz ive heard they cant, i only wish i had known this b4 i had the lights chuked on at me in my street and pulled over out the front of my house not in the driveway. would have saved me gettin a defect notice if they cant.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
Chances are you break plenty everyday.

dosent take much to have a screw driver or stanley knife in the blove box and your in it up to your neck.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
dosent take much to have a screw driver or stanley knife in the blove box and your in it up to your neck.

Yep.. Things have certainly changed over the last 20-25 years. My wife and I were camping at a beach near Gympie QLD with a couple of people me met in Darwin. The police turned up just as we'd started walking down to the beach to see if we could dig out some crabs. Just so happened I didn't have a shovel so I took my machete down to dig with.

Anyway about a 100yds into our trek the police turn up so we head back up to our cars. Cop doesn't say a word about me wandering around with a machete. They search our cars, even going through my dog's heartworm tablets and asking what they were. They go right through the boot searching everything and there is a box up against the back of the back seat between the wheel arches. He asks "what's in the box?" I say my rifles and he doesn't even bother to open it. There were about 4 hunting knives in the glove box too. Same situation now days and I'd be in all sorts of dramas.

Fun times we're living in now and it doesn't look like getting any better.