Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV8 Waste of Time

Is the SV8 a waste of time?

• Yes, Holden should drop the SV8 model for VE?

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • No, Holden should keep the SV8 model for VE?

Votes: 73 82.0%

• Total voters

tim85

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09.5 60th Anniversary LPG Sedan
How many people out there think that the SV8 is a waste of time? I mean if you're going to buy a V8 Sporty sedan you're going to buy the SS aren't you?

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
tim85 said:
How many people out there think that the SV8 is a waste of time? I mean if you're going to buy a V8 Sporty sedan you're going to buy the SS aren't you?

I think that the SV8 offers a substantial saving over the SS.
RRPs: $43,990 for the SV8 and $51,290 for the SS Sedans.

If I was in the market for a V8 sedan (and I am) I would have trouble paying the extra for the SS!

tim85

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09.5 60th Anniversary LPG Sedan
Yes the SV8 might be cheaper to buy, but Holden dealers will readily discount the SS. With the factory bonuses on SS at the moment, you can pick one up brand new for about $46000 driveaway.

You also get far better resale from an SS, so it is a better investment down the track.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
The SV8 has its place some poeple just cant go the extra few grand for an SS.

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
I agree that the SS currently enjoys a better reslae price - but the SV8 is still a good buy!

I don't think they should drop it at all!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Isn't it true that you can no longer buy a V8 base model? in that case yes they should drop the SV8 and let you option a V8 manaul with LSD in an Executive, that's how it should be. I'd even like to have delete options for the heater, carpet and cdplayer/radio and all the other stuff I don't use if I was buying a new Commodore : )

B

BLACK346

greenfoam said:
Isn't it true that you can no longer buy a V8 base model? in that case yes they should drop the SV8 and let you option a V8 manaul with LSD in an Executive, that's how it should be. I'd even like to have delete options for the heater, carpet and cdplayer/radio and all the other stuff I don't use if I was buying a new Commodore : )

Why don't you save a motza and just build a dedicated
drag car?

X

xcapee

for some people, that extra few thousand is plenty... put it this way, its enuf to pay for insurance for a year or two

exelR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
gen3 vy2
I went to my local Holden dealer to look at buying an SS but came away having ordered an SV8. At the time, the difference between the 2 was between $9k and $10k (the dealer offered the same discount % on both models). There was also a much longer waiting time for the SS than the SV8, and that influenced me. I also got a window tint, SS steering wheel, rear electric windows and side airbags (all factory options) thrown in for free.
The SV8 is mechanically almost identical to the SS; in fact some magazines like "MOTOR" have found the SV8 marginally faster because it weighs about 45kg less than big brother. I also find that the SV8's bodykit (more Exec than SS) is better suited to country roads- less damage.
But if you're concerned about the SV8's plain jane looks, consider the most obvious differences there are: wheels, bodykit, and interior. If you shop around, you'll find:
1) You can easily buy a set of genuine VZ 18" SS alloys with new tyres for a touch over $1800 delivered to your door;
2) the front and rear bars are about $350 each from Holden (yes you will have to have them painted, but even so...). And the 2005 SV8 models now have the same bumper bars and fog lights as the SS;
3) A quick look on eBay or magazine classifieds can usually find a full SS interior second hand for around $1000 (velour) and $2000 (leather).
I agree that for a lot of people, particularly to whom road image is important, the SS is "the one to have", and that's fully understandable- the SS is an awesome looking car. But if you really want to save money, or to have a very similar ride to your mate with an SS- (but for a lot less)- the SV8 is definitely a terrific bargain.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Second hand is a different story though I looked at SV8's at about $28k then added what I wanted eg
1:18" wheels and tyres $2000
2:SS front and rear fit and paint $1700
3:Nicer interior $1200
total $5000 so I bought an SS instead for $30k because the SV8 worked out at $33k but would still only have SV8 resale value.I learnt this first hand as I just sold my VPSS for $14000 had IT been a done up exec with all the fruit it may have been worth about half that,and the best part is I drove it for a year and actualy made money when I sold it so I will from here on in stick with the ss.