Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV8 Waste of Time

Is the SV8 a waste of time?

• Yes, Holden should drop the SV8 model for VE?

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • No, Holden should keep the SV8 model for VE?

Votes: 73 82.0%

• Total voters

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
black vz said:
I paid about $40K for my SV8. I then paid $3000 for an extra 50 kW. (That would make it about 300 kW, compared with your ?). I then paid nothing to have the plastic taken off the boot so it would not look like an SS. (Some guy driving around in a V6 reckons he's Xmas coz he's got a bird-perch on the boot- we swapped).

Mind you, I would have paid a few thousand to have the spoiler taken off if I had to.

Now I drive around looking like a V6 Dunnydore (or Magna - yes I agree, they all look the same), blowing off SS's .

But, then again, I might(?) lose a coupla bucks on resale. Shucks.

At least I won't be embarassed to give it a squirt if a WRX pulls up alongside.

Will you?

It's all about the fun.

For 43k I would rather have my VYSS and spend the extra 13 grand to give it say 400-450 Kws and blow the doors off porsches,ferari's 300kw SV8's etc not just wrx's (mine beats rex's allready).
but thats just my opinion luckily we are all different.

B

black vz

daz v8 supercharger

Daz, 2 points:

1. 30 K for a VYSS sounds like a pretty good buy. No wonder you're over the moon.

2. We've all read about the blower bolt-ons, but if you reckon 13 grand will get you a reliable 400-450 kW engine & drivetrain you're dreaming. The motor MIGHT cope, but Holden's clutches, transmissions, diffs, tailshafts will need another 10-15K minimum. Otherwise you're walking after your first big squirt down the 1/4 buddy-boy.
They don't tell you about that in Motor magazine.
Why do you think everyone's not doing it?

My advice would be to experience it b4 you brag about it.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
black vz said:
Daz, 2 points:

1. 30 K for a VYSS sounds like a pretty good buy. No wonder you're over the moon.

2. We've all read about the blower bolt-ons, but if you reckon 13 grand will get you a reliable 400-450 kW engine & drivetrain you're dreaming. The motor MIGHT cope, but Holden's clutches, transmissions, diffs, tailshafts will need another 10-15K minimum. Otherwise you're walking after your first big squirt down the 1/4 buddy-boy.
They don't tell you about that in Motor magazine.
Why do you think everyone's not doing it?

My advice would be to experience it b4 you brag about it.

Like you obviously have. Just to set the record my mate an ls1 engine builder runs 730rwhp in a ss ute with standard diff standard axles standard gearbox standard tailshaft without one breakage and yes for $11000 he can supply me with a blower kit with bigger injectors larger intake and tuning leaving $2000 for clutch with a grand total of $13000 for 400-450rwks so do your research before you bag and hey if you ask him nicely he may even do your V8 exec or SV8 what ever you want to call it.

B

black vz

When the flag drops the BS stops

I'm impressed. Your mate has over 730 rear wheel hp (900+ hp at the flywheel). That's a big number. If that's true, it should do at least 9's on the 1/4 if it gets traction, maybe high 9's if it doesn't hook up.

Not bad at all with a stock drivetrain. Very impressive.

Now for the 2 big questions -
1. What does it really pull over the quarter?
2. How many km per annum does he do in it?

Daz, I can't pretend to have an 8 second car. My quickest car is an 11 sec weekend toy. But I wouldn't try launching into the 11's with slicks and a standard Holden drivetrain. My god, the standard Holden clutch struggles with 300 kW and some traction. That's high 13' s on the 1/4.

If your mate can launch 950 hp with slicks and a standard Holden drivetrain you should give all that info to GMH. They could use some of that for their next "thunderstruck" ad.

p.s. -I hope you don't think you're upsetting me by calling my SV8 an Exec. If I could have bought an Exec with more grunt/less plastic crap than the SV8 I would have. The price is not the issue. I like the HP, I hate the plastic stuff.

If you really want to upset me, prove me wrong - bolt the blower on your SS, pull a low 11 and show everyone how easy it is. Simple.

sting ls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Clubsport ls2 A4
black vz said:
I'm impressed. Your mate has over 730 rear wheel hp (900+ hp at the flywheel). That's a big number. If that's true, it should do at least 9's on the 1/4 if it gets traction, maybe high 9's if it doesn't hook up.

Daz, I can't pretend to have an 8 second car. My quickest car is an 11 sec weekend toy. But I wouldn't try launching into the 11's with slicks and a standard Holden drivetrain. My god, the standard Holden clutch struggles with 300 kW and some traction. That's high 13' s on the 1/4.

If your mate can launch 950 hp with slicks and a standard Holden drivetrain you should give all that info to GMH. They could use some of that for their next "thunderstruck" ad.

p.s. -I hope you don't think you're upsetting me by calling my SV8 an Exec. If I could have bought an Exec with more grunt/less plastic crap than the SV8 I would have. The price is not the issue. I like the HP, I hate the plastic stuff.

If you really want to upset me, prove me wrong - bolt the blower on your SS, pull a low 11 and show everyone how easy it is. Simple.
well said mate :p

VZLAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Whatwas the topic about again ? oh yer LOL.. I see it as this way..

1.. does the SV8 had power windows ?
2.. is it able to be lowered which most people do anyhow even if the car is and SS or what ever
3..does the sv8 have more power than the SS ?
4.. is it lighter ?
5..does it have air con. ?
6 does it have power steering ?
7 does it come with 6 speed manual
8..does it come with a cd player ?
9..does it have four tyres with rims ? lmao
10..IS IT CHEAPER ?
11. can it be ordered optioned ? :whistling

B

BLACK346

12. Does it look more like a Magna than a commodore?
13. Does it have shitfull exec seating that is worse than
my old 1977 Charger.
Feel free to add to the list :D
black vz....Agree with a lot of what you are saying, but
I have over 300 fwkw and my clutch is still taking a
hammering after 80 thousand k. Some seem to be ok,
some die in the arse without even taking a pounding,
guess I got a good one :)

VZLAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
BLACK346 said:
12. Does it look more like a Magna than a commodore?
13. Does it have shitfull exec seating that is worse than
my old 1977 Charger.
Feel free to add to the list :D
black vz....Agree with a lot of what you are saying, but
I have over 300 fwkw and my clutch is still taking a
hammering after 80 thousand k. Some seem to be ok,
some die in the arse without even taking a pounding,
guess I got a good one :)

LMAO.. dunno dont know much bout chryslers or mitsubushpigs :whistling

Hey I still use the original clutch as well. 110,000 with 240 at rears but gosh who's counting :p but then again if I go down the road and use a different dyno it might only show 220 lol..
Anyhow we all buy cars to suit what ever our pockets want and what we like to drive..

M

majuva33

I think the 'update' VZ post-Feb 2005 SV8 is not bad value. You can pick them up around $41K drive away (that's what my brother paid in Adelaide).

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
black vz said:

Yes it is true 729 rwhp his name is Jason from street force Automotives 0894093018 his has not taken his car to the strip as he knows he may be trayloring the car home the car was built for everyday street use yes he does drive it everyday and for winning dyno comps to promote his business he still drives his ute very hard without breakage but traction at the drags makes it borderline dangerous you only have to look at LS1 forums to find many ls1 commo's doing 11 sec passes you dont need my sayso its not that hard to pull a 11 sec pass many of these cars are unopened motors.