Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Teens get takeaway at fatal crash site

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
What kind of training are you talking about Prophet? First aid course training or Proper medical training?

No training at all I believe they shouldn't attempt anything, hopefully if that was to happen there would be somebody else around that had some kind of first aid certificate.
How many people are out there these days that don't have any first aid experience though? Most places these days are getting that safety conscious and sending people on courses regularly to keep them up to date.

So that brings me to first aid cert holders. Like always you have to weigh up the risks and evaluate the situation, if they're conscious then you're in luck.

ProphetVX said:
Try telling the family of the person you just killed because you were apparently trying to save them, when all that was needed was to wait for paramedics to arrive.

And try telling them you stood around doing nothing while they sit there not breathing getting brain damage/dying. How would you feel if somebody did nothing while your mum was dying, something like a blocked airway, but they sat around because they were too worried about getting sued.

Too many people are scared to help someone because they're afraid of getting sued.

And rufus summed up what I was going to type in my first one.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
What kind of training are you talking about Prophet? First aid course training or Proper medical training?

No training at all I believe they shouldn't attempt anything, hopefully if that was to happen there would be somebody else around that had some kind of first aid certificate.
How many people are out there these days that don't have any first aid experience though? Most places these days are getting that safety conscious and sending people on courses regularly to keep them up to date.

So that brings me to first aid cert holders. Like always you have to weigh up the risks and evaluate the situation, if they're conscious then you're in luck.
At least you're looking at this logically instead of commsirac. How many people read those pamphlets that may get sent out to their work, and more often than not, they do not cover situations that would arise in a car accident. Fact of the matter is, most people don't have formal training, unless it's required for their work, and if they do, it was done such a long time ago that they are still not fully qualified to handle such a situation.

If you are 100% confident in your knowledge and ability, go for it. If you have any doubts, then comfort the victim and wait for assistance to arrive.

And try telling them you stood around doing nothing while they sit there not breathing getting brain damage/dying. How would you feel if somebody did nothing while your mum was dying, something like a blocked airway, but they sat around because they were too worried about getting sued.

Too many people are scared to help someone because they're afraid of getting sued.
I couldn't care less about getting sued, I'd be more worried about doing more damage than good. I don't have any formal first aid training other than a cpr course I did when I was 16, which was 10 years ago. No chance in hell I'd touch anyone now. And that's the crux of my argument, if someone is not confident in treating injuries, for which there may be many reasons, irrespective of training. Then who is to judge them... If someone is not 100% positive of what to do when rendering assistance, then they should not touch the person. And that's the situation 90% of people would be in when handling such an incident, but people are saying that we're gutless for not jumping in and potentially doing more damage than good?

Problem is, alot of people act first and think later. The damage it can do can be catastrophic

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Well after many of the comments on who has and hasn't done any first aid training, how about doing a first aid course. Not so you can be a hero at a prang but perhaps so you can help a mate or family member instead running in a around like a blubbering mess when the shyte hit's the fan.

Some health insurance mobs will even pay for it!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Prophet, yeah I understand all that. No dramas at all.

I haven't done basic first aid for a while now, maybe a year or so, we're probably due for that refresher.

But as far as CPR goes we do a refresher once every 4 months with work. Very lucky to have it, but I'm still amazed at how many people can't do it properly. Anyway.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I got my Level 2 First Aid Cert when I joined the RAAF. Two day course. I have kept it current ever since by renewing at the expense of my employers who haven't taken much convincing it's worth the investment. I even get $20 a week more in my pay because of it.

Worth doing.

As for helping... I don't carry protective equipment around with me and would only ever offer direct assistance if blood or other bodily fluids were NOT involved. Although with my Fire Fighting training, I am still a certified traffic controller so assisting with traffic control is still assisting. I carry a hi-vis rain proof jacket in the car "just in case".

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I read in a newspaper this morning that the driver is now in custody, he was out on bail from drug related offences, among many others. He probably had the munchies when it happened, hence the maccas :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
i would pull someone out of a car b4 it explodes but if its safe leave them in it
i wouldnt assist in cpr what if they have the gay and you catch it
leave it for the pros to fix

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Yet every action you've mentioned requires in most cases for the victim to be moved. Unless you are qualified to assess the situation, you do not know what assistance you should be providing. Do you honestly think internal bleeding and spinal injuries are not common in accidents where an impact in the case of hitting a stationary object is generally at least 60kmh, or a head on is generally at least 100kmh? These injuries are almost always present in serious accidents. Fractured ribs in particular are a dangerous scenario and very common.

The only thing in most cases anyone should be doing is to try and calm down the victim, and lower their heart rate. Anything else is like flipping a coin unless you're trained.

Try telling the family of the person you just killed because you were apparently trying to save them, when all that was needed was to wait for paramedics to arrive.

I know some basics: without blood, oxygen or a heart beat the patient has a limited time. Attend to those and the patient has a chance, sit back and make silly noises about how you could cause other injuries plugging a punctured artery and all you will be doing is seeing how much blood someone has to lose before they die.

You've got the advice from the "stretcher bearer" our resident medic....get in and do whatever it is to stop them from the immediate problem that could end their life.

You dont need to drag someone from a car to free vomit from their airway or plug an artery(you dont have to have training to make a difference here....all simple stuff), hell you can even give cpr to a person that is trapped inside. If they are impaled with objects that will could cause lethal bleeding by removing them dont. easy.

Fair enough if you dont know cpr dont try it, but as I understand it the failure to do it properly only results in less chance of resuscitating the patient, rather than no chance, breaking their sternum........its survivable.

Unfortunately, it was the many posting here on how that they would do nothing that earned my roth in this thread.

The actions of the teenagers ordering maccas rather than helping is repulsive, however, others rushed to the add of the victims and possibly it didnt matter whether they got involved or not, possibly they were even told to go away by the people that were amongst the first on the scene(as they probably looked every bit as useless as their actions that led to the collision)

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
The actions of the teenagers ordering maccas rather than helping is repulsive, however, others rushed to the add of the victims and possibly it didnt matter whether they got involved or not, possibly they were even told to go away by the people that were amongst the first on the scene(as they probably looked every bit as useless as their actions that led to the collision)

I'm glad there's a bit of common sense in here. It's like if someone is stopped on the side of the road, it's only efficient for one person to help. If someone else is helping and you have a pretty good idea that they'll do a better job than you, best thing is to keep driving.

These kids probably knew no CPR, First aid, saw others helping and decided to sit back. Smart option.

They didn't order Maccas. A friend dropped it off for them. Who knows the story behind it but either way I don't find it as egregious as you lot seem to. It's just a coping mechanism. For some it's similar to pouring a stiff drink.

In other news, the kid's on the run. He broke away from police custody and is now a wanted man.