Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

THE definitave V6 Conversion into VB, VC, VH & VK Thread (please post your knowledge)

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
I "Borrowed" this post from another site:

the converstion is an all bolt in job basicly. best thing to do is buy a donar car from the auctions like i did. and use the vn k frame. Suspention and breaks too if you want. And if ur useing a th700 box use the standard trans crossmember with a th400 trans mount. But if u sue t5 5 speed ya have to mod the crossmember a little. not much pretty easy if you can weld and again use the th400 trans mount. I have been told i can use my standard vk tailshaft but it wears out centre bearings a lttle more. and also have been told ya can use vn front and vk rear. or just get the vn one shortened should only cost about $150-$200 to shorten.As for radiator you can use the vn one but have to cut a little at the bottom of the rad suport or ya can use a vc vb vh vk vl v8.As for wiring just plug and play basicly.

- He states that if your using the Th700 box (which i will be) that i can use the standard Auto crossmember (VH or VP???) and put the Th400 Trans Mount on it.

Can someone throw some pics up of the crossmember with the trans mount on it so i can see exactly what he means? Is the th400 trans mount a direct fit to the (VH or VP?) Crossmember?

Cheers

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack

Attachments

• picture112c.jpg
    picture112c.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,871

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Im also using a turbo 400 mount on my crossmember. Its not an automatic but the principle as the same, Turbo 400 bolts to gearbox and bolts to standard auto crossmember.
IMG_5016.jpg

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Your right you want a V8 tailshaft from VB-VH, probably the easiest way to tell what diff is if you look at the filler on the back of the diff, borgwarners have a rubber cap, and Salisbury have a bolt.

I Believe VBRED has a pic of his crossmember, he is using a T5 however. Im not sure if you weld the Angle on so that the crossmember sits at the same height as a T5 setup or if you have to weld it on a little lower so the gearbox can fit into the tunnel, im thinking you might have to weld it a little lower. Its the original crossmember you modify.

To use the whole front end of a VP you either need to swap your steering rack for a VN one and use the VL power steer intermediate shaft and it will all bolt up sweet as a VN uses a spline drive and so does VL, or you can do what i did and use the VP shaft and remove the top yolk and put you VH yolk on it so it still connects to the steering column. VP has square drives, and early models has splined drives. See the pic below, the top shaft is the VP shaft, and the bottom is a VL power steer one. In the pic i have removed the VL ones yolk and it is fitted to the VP one.(your VH one has the same yolk as a vl) Which makes it a splined drive to the steering column and a square drive to the rack. You can see from the bottom where it goes over the rack to the top uni they are both the same length, the VL one is shorter in the middle as it uses a coupler to slide over both the intermediate shaft spline and the rack spline whereas the VP one doesnt use a coupler. My way was cheaper for me because i didnt have buy another steering rack.

IMG_4780.jpg

Thanks mate!!!

That is some incredibly detailed info there, Exactly what i was hoping for this thread!

Did you do your electrical wiring yourself too?

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Here's something that i would like to get some more detail on from the Sticky V6 Conversion thread:

Step 5 – installation
• Fit VN computer and wiring
• Wire into VK electrics. This could be part of the wiring loom adaptor from V6 conversions, not sure as I had an auto elect’ do mine.

^^^^ This, Does anyone have a more detailed write up? The electrics in this conversion would have to be the hardest part!!

Cheers

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Can anyone shed some light on how they wired the fusebox side of the loom in? There are about 6 wires that run back upto the dash from the loom and fusebox.
Obviously i need to connect these to something.....?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Which loom and and Fuse box do you mean?

Wiring is hard to cover as we dont wish to tell every tom, dick or harry to know how to wire up and steal our cars. But a couple of hours with a wiring diagram and youll be able to nut it out.

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Ok, For all those without wiring diagrams (like myself) Here is a perfect example of what is needed to figure out the wiring side of this conversion

(Thankyou Weston :D )

Hi not sure if these will be of total help but these wiring diagrams are for a VN witch is pretty much the same as VP to my knowledge there is also a diagram (not sure if it is anygood but its for VN into VK) as well is a diagram for the dash cluster plugs. If it helps with my VH with VN series one V6 i replaced the whole wiring loom front to back in the car the only VH wiring left is the wires coming out of the heater control and the lead from the back of the head lights otherwise the rest is VN now.
My20VN20dash20wiring.jpg

Starting-charging-heating-cruise-st.jpg

Powr_windows-mirrors-cen_locking-ho.jpg

Lighting.jpg

Engine_management.jpg

Demister-wipers-washer-instruments.jpg

VN-VP20Diagnostic20Connector.gif

vnintovk-1.jpg

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
To be honest, I can't even understand that:p

This is gonna take awhile sigh...........