Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Red VZ

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s a fking joke if someone thinks you can casually slap a bit of paint. “Yeah mate. Cheap as”. Talking out your naught. It realistically costs more than the car is worth to do a good job. I’m not paying someone to do a joke of a number just so I do have to post an honest comment that the paint has some swirls and Shaneo there knows the paint is up to his standard.

It’s up to my standard for what is reasonable and expected.

I’ve just done the doors today and no swirls so you’ll be able to rub one out over that.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I still call BS. There would be over $2k in just blocking back and buffing clear, unless the painter got it perfect off the gun.

Are you serious?
You de nib with a tungsten then clay it and polish with the DA.
It's not that hard mate.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It’s a fking joke if someone thinks you can casually slap a bit of paint. “Yeah mate. Cheap as”. Talking out your naught. It realistically costs more than the car is worth to do a good job. I’m not paying someone to do a joke of a number just so I do have to post an honest comment that the paint has some swirls and Shaneo there knows the paint is up to his standard.

It’s up to my standard for what is reasonable and expected.

I’ve just done the doors today and no swirls so you’ll be able to rub one out over that.

It's not paint, if you cleat coat it while there's still clear you're just adding to the clear that is there.
Then you have more clear available to go in with the DA and correct.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A clay alone is $500.
Dude, it's just clay you buy the bar and give it a quick wipe after you de-nib with a tungsten.
Tbh you shouldn't have to do either if the job is good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok Shane. I'm not going to argue forever. This is the last I will be saying on the matter. I've already stinked Fu's build thread enough.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not paint, if you cleat coat it while there's still clear you're just adding to the clear that is there.
Then you have more clear available to go in with the DA and correct.
Cool story bro.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Cool story bro.

Okay I get you think I'm an idiot.
But I actually have a little experience in this field.
My father has done restorations like the Red Boat in Canberra near the Governer Generals house.
There's a horse paddock next door and there's a pond that had an old boat. The picture is a famous painting worth **** loads.
So my father actually got the task of encasing the original boat in epoxy.
It still sits exactly where it was in the painting.
We had the boat at my mum and dads for about a year.

It's the exact same concept, encase the still good paint in more clear then buff back until it looks good.

If you don't believe me cool good luck dealing with flaked clear coat in the future.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Okay I get you think I'm an idiot.
But I actually have a little experience in this field.
My father has done restorations like the Red Boat in Canberra near the Governer Generals house.
There's a horse paddock next door and there's a pond that had an old boat. The picture is a famous painting worth **** loads.
So my father actually got the task of encasing the original boat in epoxy.
It still sits exactly where it was in the painting.
We had the boat at my mum and dads for about a year.

It's the exact same concept, encase the still good paint in more clear then buff back until it looks good.

If you don't believe me cool good luck dealing with flaked clear coat in the future.

This says your Dad did paint stuff, NOT you.....

Post pictures of YOUR paint restoration work, not your Dads

Fu has done his best to restore the paint to his satisfaction, NOT yours or your Dads

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyway. My neighbour is a spray painter by trade. His family ran a well known panel beaters until a few years back.

He looked at it. He was dubious about the condition of the paint on the bonnet and roof. He came and had a look today and was pretty impressed with what I achieved. He said it was Hollywood.

If it was to fail, vinyl wrap on the roof and find a red bonnet at a wrecker was going to be the next step.