Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by ducker85, Jan 22, 2015.

1. All5litres

All5litres New Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE Omega
    Just had my chains and tensioners done at Ultratune Salisbury for $1950 with a new water pump, I got about a dozen quotes and they ranged from 1950 all the way up to 4500 so it pays to shop around. Hopefully that helps some Adelaide people out too.

2. aussieakito

aussieakito Gold Certified Tech

Members Ride:
    Manual VY SS2 HBD, VT Wagon
    I do them at home for 1500.

3. Margaret Baxter

Margaret Baxter New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden commodore 09
    I need some help guys, I've never posted on a forum before.
    My 09 commodore is doing the same as you described, did the replace timing chain fix the issue, it's very expensive, and local mechanics are saying its best to do a reco engine, rather than the chain.
    I need some advice please,?

4. h8tensv6

h8tensv6 Member

Members Ride:
    2009 MY10 SV6 2002 VX S2
    You need to go to another mechanic for a second opinion. I cant see why they would be saying a new engine is needed when it could only need the timing chains done.
    As you can see from the above posts, chains are ranging between $1900 to $4000 . If your engine had very high miles or was full of sludge from poor servicing you could need a new engine but if its showing error codes get someone to check what they are first. Depending on what model your car is, the timing chain issue was sort of fixed before 09 but it can happen.
    I had Kmart tyre and auto scan my error codes before for $40 and Holden charge $120

5. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    I wouldn't even pay $1900 to do it these days. Plenty of guys doing it for around the $1250 mark with a good kit.
    Forum sponsor does them for $385 for a basic kit Revhigh

I'll probably do a DIY video when I replace my chains.

6. Sallianne

Sallianne New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sv6 My 10
    I have just tackled Holden as my timing chain started going at 68000kms....they have come to the party $610 and they will pay for the labour I'm out of warranty ,,,,but this occurred and I let them know when It was in warranty( But that has no bearing)...mind you as it's now coming up to 90000kms service schedule I thought I would get that done at the same time...thinking ok extra $250-300....NO NO NO they want to charge me $875.....so I'm getting my timing chain changed and I have asked to see what all the ado is about...I'll get it serviced at my old mechanic.....

7. Micaxe

Micaxe Member

Members Ride:
    '11 VE s2 SV6 manual
    Do you have a record of it being noted @ 68ks, cause they should honour it regardless, interesting that you got to 90km. As you have a later model supposed to be after the fix up in 2007/8 I'd be hammering Holden to pay for it. Doesn't matter about warranty it failed the "fit for purpose" with only 90k on it. If it's been serviced on time you should have a win. There was someone early this year who got Holden to replace chains at their cost , had a lot more kms on it. Good luck!

8. Sallianne

Sallianne New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sv6 My 10
    yes i do that's why i'm only paying for the timing chain...and not the labour....I had notified them in November last year....when it was at 68000kms....but now trying to sting be $870 for a service.....nearly died .....it's out of warranty for servicing so I'll go to my mechanic.....after the chain is fitted....have asked to have a look at my old chain too to see what all the fuss is about and to make sure it's done.....

9. VE KNGG

VE KNGG New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden
    Hey guys
    My VE sv6 is making a grind chain sound on start up for approx 5 seconds can anyone tell me how to fix it I got told it's not getting enough oil pressure to the chains any good way to clean the pick up thanks

10. VE KNGG

VE KNGG New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden
    Hey
    I just want to confirm the timing chain is rooted.therefore get your details to do it .. There is no engine codes but it does make a loose chain sound on start up and go away after approx 5secs is that the chain or the pick up blocked ... If so any idea how to fix it

11. Xplaya

Xplaya 2008 VE SV6

Members Ride:
    2008 VE SV6
    How did you confirm the chain was rooted? or were you asking?

My chains were replaced months back, and after that my car did this also but at certain times, mainly during colder startups and mechanic said the same thing about oil pressure building up.
    Im due for new a oil change soon so Im going to try a different brand and see how that goes. Have castrol edge at the moment, going to give penrite a go next.

Reading around I found a BMW forum where someone had he same symptons, and turned out to be a broken guide, making me wonder if my mechanic cracked or didnt install it properly? Sad part is we cant check this unless doing the actual job.

12. jbray1984

jbray1984 New Member

Members Ride:
    Looking for a VE
    What if there are no error codes on the screen? But lots of noise? I have my SV6 2011 SIDI in getting the timing chain looked at today but haven't had error codes, just lots of noise.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  13. Xplaya

Xplaya 2008 VE SV6

Members Ride:
    2008 VE SV6
    I would say the chains or related to it, even just a guide that may have snapped inside. I would definately do a tear down to the chains and see what it is.

Ive heard of another person on here that was not getting any codes as well that needed chains / guides replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  14. Edz

Edz New Member

Members Ride:
    VE V6 60th Anniversary
    Talked to the service manager yesterday while getting my car serviced about cam chains and warranty. He said the only ones they'd seen that had problems were the ones where the owners didn't get regular oil and filter changes. He said there's 2 little oil squirters on the chains that block up if you let the oil get too dirty.

15. pebbs

pebbs Member

Members Ride:
    VE series 2
    Holden built these motors to a price.
    Take a look at the size of the oil filter and ask yourself again if 15000 k between services is a good idea.
    Its way to small and holden know it.
    They went to 15000k services by increasing the sump size, they should have also increased the filter size.
    7500 - 10000 k max between services is more sensible.

16. Rob.....

Rob..... New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    To those of you getting sensor codes thinking the timing chain has stretched, you can swap the sensor on each side of the engine to confirm it is a chain or a sensor. I had P0018, and it was just the sensor was failing a particular temperatures. The sensors will take most people under an hour to swap left to right and can save you thousands. If the code changes to the other side it's the sensor, if it stays the same, it's the chain.

17. redvxr8clubby

redvxr8clubby Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Clubsport & VE SS
    I have noticed that smaller oil filters are a trend these days, compared to say an Ecotec engine oil filter, every oil filter on the cars I have now is a lot smaller than they used to be. Apart from my VX an VE V8's I also have a 2012 Fiesta and a 2008 Forester, and a few years ago had a 2006 Lancer 2.4 - all are small filters in comparison to cars that I have had over the years - I had to buy a new oil filter spanner/ wrench when I got the Lancer back in 2010, as the one I have used for years wasn't suitable for these smaller filters, and any car I have had since have been the same. The Holden V6 filter is smaller than any of them, I guess in part as you are only buying the filter cartridge. Given the amount of problems you hear about with these V6's it makes sense to look after them, do the changes less frequently than 15,000 Km, 12 months and do it with correct grade quality oil. Just doing one more service over a 2 year period (so at least every 8 months, on the basis of 15,000Km pa this would mean 10,000Km), should help to maintain your car in much better condition than going a full year between services.

18. Xplaya

Xplaya 2008 VE SV6

Members Ride:
    2008 VE SV6
    If anyone gettin codes with no rattling, I would def do this first.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  19. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    Got mine done at Revhigh.com.au $999 inc genuine parts and inc labour. Oil is extra or supply your own.

McGroyen likes this.
  20. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder New Member

Members Ride:
    ve commodore
    What was the car doing to figure out they were no good,