Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Margaret Baxter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore 09
I need some help guys, I've never posted on a forum before.
My 09 commodore is doing the same as you described, did the replace timing chain fix the issue, it's very expensive, and local mechanics are saying its best to do a reco engine, rather than the chain.
I need some advice please,?

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
I need some help guys, I've never posted on a forum before.
My 09 commodore is doing the same as you described, did the replace timing chain fix the issue, it's very expensive, and local mechanics are saying its best to do a reco engine, rather than the chain.
I need some advice please,?

You need to go to another mechanic for a second opinion. I cant see why they would be saying a new engine is needed when it could only need the timing chains done.
As you can see from the above posts, chains are ranging between $1900 to $4000 . If your engine had very high miles or was full of sludge from poor servicing you could need a new engine but if its showing error codes get someone to check what they are first. Depending on what model your car is, the timing chain issue was sort of fixed before 09 but it can happen.
I had Kmart tyre and auto scan my error codes before for $40 and Holden charge $120

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I wouldn't even pay $1900 to do it these days. Plenty of guys doing it for around the $1250 mark with a good kit.
Forum sponsor does them for $385 for a basic kit Revhigh

I'll probably do a DIY video when I replace my chains.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
I have just tackled Holden as my timing chain started going at 68000kms....they have come to the party $610 and they will pay for the labour I'm out of warranty ,,,,but this occurred and I let them know when It was in warranty( But that has no bearing)...mind you as it's now coming up to 90000kms service schedule I thought I would get that done at the same time...thinking ok extra $250-300....NO NO NO they want to charge me $875.....so I'm getting my timing chain changed and I have asked to see what all the ado is about...I'll get it serviced at my old mechanic.....

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
I have just tackled Holden as my timing chain started going at 68000kms....they have come to the party $610 and they will pay for the labour I'm out of warranty ,,,,but this occurred and I let them know when It was in warranty( But that has no bearing)...mind you as it's now coming up to 90000kms service schedule I thought I would get that done at the same time...thinking ok extra $250-300....NO NO NO they want to charge me $875.....so I'm getting my timing chain changed and I have asked to see what all the ado is about...I'll get it serviced at my old mechanic.....

Do you have a record of it being noted @ 68ks, cause they should honour it regardless, interesting that you got to 90km. As you have a later model supposed to be after the fix up in 2007/8 I'd be hammering Holden to pay for it. Doesn't matter about warranty it failed the "fit for purpose" with only 90k on it. If it's been serviced on time you should have a win. There was someone early this year who got Holden to replace chains at their cost , had a lot more kms on it. Good luck!

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
yes i do that's why i'm only paying for the timing chain...and not the labour....I had notified them in November last year....when it was at 68000kms....but now trying to sting be $870 for a service.....nearly died .....it's out of warranty for servicing so I'll go to my mechanic.....after the chain is fitted....have asked to have a look at my old chain too to see what all the fuss is about and to make sure it's done.....

VE KNGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Hey guys
My VE sv6 is making a grind chain sound on start up for approx 5 seconds can anyone tell me how to fix it I got told it's not getting enough oil pressure to the chains any good way to clean the pick up thanks

VE KNGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Hey
I just want to confirm the timing chain is rooted.therefore get your details to do it .. There is no engine codes but it does make a loose chain sound on start up and go away after approx 5secs is that the chain or the pick up blocked ... If so any idea how to fix it

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Hey
I just want to confirm the timing chain is rooted.therefore get your details to do it .. There is no engine codes but it does make a loose chain sound on start up and go away after approx 5secs is that the chain or the pick up blocked ... If so any idea how to fix it

How did you confirm the chain was rooted? or were you asking?

My chains were replaced months back, and after that my car did this also but at certain times, mainly during colder startups and mechanic said the same thing about oil pressure building up.
Im due for new a oil change soon so Im going to try a different brand and see how that goes. Have castrol edge at the moment, going to give penrite a go next.

Reading around I found a BMW forum where someone had he same symptons, and turned out to be a broken guide, making me wonder if my mechanic cracked or didnt install it properly? Sad part is we cant check this unless doing the actual job.

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
What if there are no error codes on the screen? But lots of noise? I have my SV6 2011 SIDI in getting the timing chain looked at today but haven't had error codes, just lots of noise.

Last edited by a moderator: