Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ultimate in LPG gas systems ??

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Also, I've heard great things about Gas Research as well, in what ways do you think the BLOS has advantages over GR?

I have been looking at Gas research & its just the same as a ring mixer though it has a lot of adjustments for idle / progression ports & full power - it is restrictive as well & has all the same problems as a std ring mixer as far as I am concerned. Though to be fair it is far more advanced than a std mixer - but it requires dyno time & then things are in the hands of the bloke that tunes it unless you buy something that will read the oxy sensor output - which I suggest you do anyway - The blos is just so much easier to setup. The object is to save money & the money you would have spent on Dyno - you can use for a wide band setup.

As for parts required - once the convertor is fitted - you need to make up your air inlet somehow - I used silicone hose from Supercheap & a bit of exhaust pipe to join things (see pics) - you can fit an LPG computer stepper motor in the line from the convertor. Mate if yours is like mine was from the LPG installer - you will just be amazed at the difference if you go this way - the memcal makes a huge difference - especially on starting - between the Australian Ford forums & this one I have posted lots of info on fitting & setting them up - its a lot of time writing all of this - so I would ask that you do some work here for yourselves & I will answer stuff after that. I have posted some photos of my setup - hope it works !!!

Just be warned though that in my circumstance with my oxygen sensors I could go much leaner than what the sensors indicated & In the end I had a mechanic put his wide band oxygen sensor setup on my car & go for a drive - it came out at 15 something to one ratio which he thought was great - but my oxygen sensors just read lean all the time. I have to put another sensor in & leave it disconnected from the computer & see what the difference is. But the engine is out at the moment. (Just had it all done up with high comp pistons & a lot shaved off the heads / new timing chain etc I will let you know how this goes in the future) You can buy a wide band kit off ebay as well but they are around $500 i think - but this is the best way as you can see what its doing all the time & you know if your mixtures are right every time you drive it.

Attachments

• Pic_1119_040.jpg
    Pic_1119_040.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,428
  • Pic_0126_041.jpg
    Pic_0126_041.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Pic_1119_039.jpg
    Pic_1119_039.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,197

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just be warned about buying a Memcal - the link I provided in an above post for Apexus - gives you the details on which computer you need to be able to run the dual map Memcal - if you dont have the right part number you will have to buy another computer with the right ones. Also Without the power applied to the terminal of the computer from the fuel changeover switch - the vehicle will start up in LPG mode - NOT petrol mode. Which had me confused at one point.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
That converter would be ok I think - but I prefer Airod as mixtures seem to always stay the same no matter what.

I will give you an indication of the power - with the Dual map Memcal & Airod variable mixer - the VS v6 motor / auto that I have, is fitted to a 93 Hilux Dual cab. ( I don't know which vehicle is heavier than the other but a full lpg tank should make up the difference) It has a 3.7 - 1 ratio diff - 215/70 R15 tyres (which drops the ratio back a bit I think compared to a std VS) I was dragging a bloke that I knew in a std VS auto sedan from the lights - I had just picked up my stock order of soft drinks from the transport depot & the ute tray was full to the sides of the tray with cartons - so that's pretty heavy.
I had a passenger & both petrol & lpg tanks full - the other guy was by himself in an empty car. The car I was dragging never left me (two runs) & the only reason he got in front of me on the last run was because the road turned into one lane & he had right of way (I was in the left lane) - we got to around 80 KPH before I backed off. On the highway I was getting 13L per hundred kilometers if I remember correctly. Around town was 15 I think - which I thought pretty good considering the diff ratio.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just wanted to let everyone know that these fuel economy figures posted previously are with a couple of added extras -

#1 I use the Pulstar plugs - which improve fuel economy / power & drive ability.

#2 I use an air ram / scoop (PVC pipe) incorporated into my bumper bar (with a std air filter) its quite large with 6" split in half length ways & going across the front & 3" going up into the air cleaner box / it works quite well.

#3 I use 10w40 Mobil1 - on Mobil's recommendation - I used to use mineral oil 20w50 & the std spec in the owners manual is 10w30 - the difference is quite dramatic. It uses a bit of oil but I don't care as the fuel economy increase more than covers the loss & as I practice extended oil changes (anything up to 30,000K) this gives some fresh oil & additives regularly.

Last edited:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Ok I know this is a fairly big dig...

But I remembered a while ago that there was gas injection kits (under bonnet) available on ebay, but couldn't find them when this thread was made..

Finally found them again, A bunch of guys off the ford forums are using them and seem to be insanely satisfied and apparently perform pretty good.
Best thing is there is no restriction on petrol but would still be pretty damn awesome on gas as well :D (has its own ecu for you to tune) and apparently not many wires to solder (he says half a dozen in the ad)...

So it seems pretty straight forward and wouldn't take long at all

Here is the link.
######## LPG VAPOUR INJECTION CHEAP GAS EFI KIT ####### | eBay

I think I've given up on the idea of a mixer and will just do this when I can actually save some money instead of buying useless **** lol

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I know this is a fairly big dig...

But I remembered a while ago that there was gas injection kits (under bonnet) available on ebay, but couldn't find them when this thread was made..

Finally found them again, A bunch of guys off the ford forums are using them and seem to be insanely satisfied and apparently perform pretty good.
Best thing is there is no restriction on petrol but would still be pretty damn awesome on gas as well :D (has its own ecu for you to tune) and apparently not many wires to solder (he says half a dozen in the ad)...

So it seems pretty straight forward and wouldn't take long at all

Here is the link.
######## LPG VAPOUR INJECTION CHEAP GAS EFI KIT ####### | eBay

I think I've given up on the idea of a mixer and will just do this when I can actually save some money instead of buying useless **** lol

The only advantage of going vapour over a Blos is that you dont have lpg in the manifold - so backfires are much less a problem- not worth it unless you can go with Liquid injection as that will increase HP as well as give you no back fires - its also complicated system & you cant play with them at all - so any repairs or adjustments have to be done by the dealer - being a mechanic myself I dont like that as it costs money & not always do they do things right - your at their mercy

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Can you confirm that you have a 2.0 litre Hilux?.....you posted: "The Blos is fitted to a 2002 2.0L 2wd Toyota Hilux - always carrying a load - minimum of around 500kg. " Do you mean 2.7L?

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes 2.0L - its a 1RZ engine - they only came out in the Workmates - not many produced