Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
It's easy to see where you sit politically, standard redneck conservative mindset. Been doing some travelling the last week or so, lots of EV's on the road. Talking to the owners, all are happy.
Wanting accurate representation of figures makes you a redneck conservative?
So being a progressive cuck means you want the opposite? Got it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
But here is the kicker… if you can recharge at home using your own PV, that (forgone) $7.37 is GST and tax free. So, instead of having to earn $100 to cover that 335 km, you simply forgo $7.37 in FiT credits. And as @Paul Smedley has posted, sometimes it is even possible (in SA at least) to get paid to use that electricity, so even cheaper again.

You do know you pay GST when you get an electricity bill....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
You do know you pay GST when you get an electricity bill....

We do… we pay GST on the electricity that we buy from the grid, we pay GST on the supply charge, but we don’t pay GST on the PV generated FiT tariff. So, recharging an EV using excess PV production is GST free. It is even income tax free too (At bit of a grey area, but so far, tax-free for private residential systems).

From an electricity retailer’s website…

IMG_2800.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My power bill is expensive enough at $1000 or more a quarter.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The increase would be more than offset by the savings on petrol.
Maybe, but have to factor in interest on a $70k loan. Then another rego, and insurance as I need an ICE vehicle for towing. If I ever buy an EV they will need to improve the batteries as I couldn't pull my camper and boat when we go away with what's currently on the market.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
It is even income tax free too (At bit of a grey area, but so far, tax-free for private residential systems).
Shhhh............ don't give the Gubbermint new ideas. They have highly paid public servants and advisors to do that.
The revenue raised by taxing FIT proceeds could pay ............ maybe ......... a couple of days salary for these think-tankers.,

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Maybe but I spent six years getting my degree, while I worked 45-50 hours a week to support myself. I'm allowed to think it's stupid that five-year-olds get to cape up when they go from kinda to prep.
Yes you are allowed to think it’s stupid …

I’m also allowed to think some tick tock social influencer girl who lip syncs in the back seat of a car to some song for 15 seconds and then earns crazy money (from a privacy stealing org) cause it’s gone ”viral” simply contributes to the growing stupidity of society…

I guess the cause of such angst is choices and political correctness gone crazy :p It’s a crazy work we live in and it’s getting crazier by the day :rolleyes:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow, those figures sound incredible until you factor in the cost of the EV
cost of battery replacement
cost of the PV system
and
as I read yesterday interest in RV's in europe is waning due mainly to
cost of EV
range anxiety
lack of charging stations
which may be why Tesla laid off 10000 staff.
Oh well, back to the ICE:rolleyes:

I can understand the ‘up front costs’ argument, and why the initial capital cost would be a barrier for many. I have noticed that many newer technologies often have a high upfront cost, but a lower on-going cost, but with an overall lower cost. Solar PV, high efficiency appliances, and EVs all probably fall in to that category - the lifetime savings are there if you can afford the initial buy-in cost.

The ’replacement battery’ line has been popping up a lot. I do wonder if this is part of a ‘sow doubt’ campaign by the fossil fuel industry? Is it something that is being talked about on Sky News?

Firstly, I don’t see too many questions or concerns about the cost of an engine replacement when buying a new ICE engine, and for new buyers it‘s a non-issue. It’s the same for EVs. There was a story recently in Australia of someone who does significant mileage. They had a pack fail (warning light on the dash) at 666,000 km. It was apparently covered by warranty, but they elected to have a bigger battery pack fitted and paid $20,000 for the upgrade. (Found the video, below…).

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
And I have noticed an awful lot of EV owners/drivers have the vehicle on their work package/business meaning they think they are saving tax while saving the planet..

Tax savings does seem to be a driver for many, and are just as applicable for buying a ICE car under lease.

I haven’t got the reference in front of me, but I recall that the government recently changed the taxes on novated leases for EVs. I think they dropped the FBT on them? Anyway, the article I read was saying that in the novated lease world EVs were making up about 10% of leases before the tax change, but now they are making up about 40% (or close to half) of all new novated leases.

Personally, I don’t like the idea of novated leases and I’d rather pay the tax to the government than pay the ’finance costs’ to a leasing company. And the out-of-pocket savings are quite minimal. It might be different in a company structure.

But, anyway, the point I was trying to convey is that we’ll be seeing even more EVs on the road via leasing arrangements. Plant-saving, or tax-saving, or cost-saving? Who knows what the driver is, but it is there.