Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Coon cheese in the States? Classic! Bet they don't. I think the only reason the name survived here was because it was the name of the company founder or something similar.

Skydrol

Not sure about Jewish certified foods here but we certainly have halal approved food which has become an industry and is a bit controversial. Even most inoffensive items like our national favourite Vegemite has been halal certified.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Vegamite... always wanted to try it for kicks and grins... in the US a "coon" has two meanings and have to be careful how you use it. One is a truncated version of the word Racoon, the other one is racial slang for african decendants.

Halal, will check on that. I do move away from Kosher stuff from time to time; hey, I love pork and sausages including Blood Pudin/Sausage. Do not eat it often but by God, they are tasty charcoal grilled and chased with some beer.

That reminds me... need to get some charcoal for the weekend.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
It has two meanings here also. A racial slur for Aborigines, and a brand of cheese.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Vegamite... always wanted to try it for kicks and grins
... in the US a "coon" has two meanings and have to be careful how you use it. One is a truncated version of the word Racoon, the other one is racial slang for african decendants.

Halal, will check on that. I do move away from Kosher stuff from time to time; hey, I love pork and sausages including Blood Pudin/Sausage. Do not eat it often but by God, they are tasty charcoal grilled and chased with some beer.

That reminds me... need to get some charcoal for the weekend.

Give Vegemite a go but buy the smallest jar you can get.You probably won't like it so it will end up in the trash.

I remember an episode of JAG on tv years ago where a US aircrew member said it tasted like axle grease. It doesn't. (Grease is virtually tasteless). It seems that only Aussies like the stuff. It just looks like grease.

And over here you don't call an aboriginal Australian a coon. Very offensive.

R

Risky

My friends over in Maine go nuts for Tim Tams. They can't get enough of them. I buy them by the box & mail it over every few weeks. They do sell them in Target there but it's seasonal. They also like Milo. I made them a short vid that the cup should be 3/4 full of Milo & 1/4 milk. That went down well :)

A few of their relatives that were serving in Afghanistan were after the Aussie Army Field Ration Eating Device (FRED). I had a ton of them & sent most of them over. They were like gold over there.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
You should try German rations, they are like gourmet food beside the US ones. In Somalia we had rations from Singapore, Chicken Curry and Pork Curry were the only flavors available... my dear God, after a few I had enough of the Curry. However, they came with a bag full of Tea bags and Sugar. We welcomed the tea.

If anybody have to go to the field and find non alcoholic beer. Buy it, get some yeast sent in the mail. Dump the beer in an about 5 gallon jar and leave like 2.5 gallons for expanssion, add sugar and yeast and referment the mofo.... your mates will appreciate it. As long the beer does not have a preservatives you are good to go... fruit cocktail also makes a decent hooch. Yeast loves the corn syrup.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
My friends over in Maine go nuts for Tim Tams. They can't get enough of them. I buy them by the box & mail it over every few weeks. They do sell them in Target there but it's seasonal. They also like Milo. I made them a short vid that the cup should be 3/4 full of Milo & 1/4 milk. That went down well :)

A few of their relatives that were serving in Afghanistan were after the Aussie Army Field Ration Eating Device (FRED). I had a ton of them & sent most of them over. They were like gold over there.

There is a South African butcher in my town who sells a lot of South African products as well the requeset South African meat products which are hard to come by usually ,even the kiwis are coming around to it, some are now his best customers .

You should give marmite a crack on your friends , try it yourself if you can get it .

R

Risky

Lol my parents grew up on Marmite & ate it myself when I lived in the UK for a short period. Still prefer Vegemite. You can get some South African goodies at selected Coles supermarkets.

The FRED's are still the best for everything
utensils-fred.jpg

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
We call them P38s... was told the name came form the Lockheed P38 Lightning. I guess was lighting fast back in WW2 opening C Rats.

P-38_Can_Opener.jpg

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The FRED's are still the best for everything
utensils-fred.jpg

Another blast from the past. A clever little gadget which we brought home after weekend bivouacs in the Army Reserve waaaaay back in the early 70's.

Do they still use those things?

Last edited: