Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What pisses me off is paying for work to be done on your car and then having to fix all the little issues they didn't do right.

Same with tradies, we are renovating and had a plumber, sparkie and cabinet makers in, had to go behind them all and fix their mistakes. Kitchen cabinets still aren't finished since June last year.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Same with tradies, we are renovating and had a plumber, sparkie and cabinet makers in, had to go behind them all and fix their mistakes. Kitchen cabinets still aren't finished since June last year.
Yeah good tradies are hard to find. Having been an owner builder I know this too well. Young builders these days don't seem to have the same skill of those born in the 50s - 70s.

I'm a baker by trade but stopped baking a fair few years ago now. I was trained by some highly skilled very pedantic bakers, and went to what was probably the best bakery trade school in the Country (Regency). I can bake almost anything, whereas these days you struggle to find a decent bakery, yet in the 80s - 90s there were heaps of great places with good food. Baking trade is dying IMO, the apprentices only know how to make what the business sells, and couldn't work anywhere else because lack of skill. And rough, the products I have tried over the last few years are awful. My daughter is a baker, but unfortunately she lacks skill, as her trade school only taught her what her employer wanted her to know, which was pretty much bread making. I sometimes feel I need to open a bakery so I can train her in the old ways, where everything was done from scratch, instead of opening a bag and pouring in water. Also skills like shaping a loaf by hand, and moulding it by hand, instead of dropping a lump of dough into a machine to process. Also, the old ways of allowing dough to rest, where as now it's pull it from the mixer, chop it up, throw it in the moulder and in the tin ready for the prover. This is the reason why so much bread tastes awful these days compared to years ago.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yeah good tradies are hard to find. Having been an owner builder I know this too well. Young builders these days don't seem to have the same skill of those born in the 50s - 70s.

How many nails can you hammer in with a smart phone ? Google it. ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It‘s not just lacking skills, they also don’t have the same work ethics or pride of workmanship as the tradies that came before them :(

As a home owner builder, it’s really annoying when tradies see that you’ll run into a costly problem if they continue doing their bit and they say nothing. Something that’s easy to fix now and will cause minimal if any delay to their schedule, but they simply want to be done and move on, or they know they’ll sting you $$$ for the fix some time later. Added to this is their poor standards of workmanship and their idea that Australian standards are something aspirational rather than being the minimum standard it is :mad:

Most tradies just want to do as many jobs as quickly as possible with the least amount of thought so they can make as much money as they can before their reputation catches up with them. I wouldn’t use them if I had a choice but some traded are prescribed so you‘re forced to use them unless you have a ticket to do such work...

Some tradies have a lot in common with Holden dealer workshops, that is they are fcuking clowns :eek:

PS: at least in NZed it used to be anyone could wire up their own house post switchboard if they wanted to, with just a simp,e inspection afterwards. Not sure if plumbing was the same...

Being that the standards are common between jurisdictions, since AS/NZS after all, it obvious that kiwi’s must be a smarter bunch than aussies who can’t leagally touch wiring for fear of electrocution and death (or drowning in the case of plumbing) :p:p:p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Being that the standards are common between jurisdictions, since AS/NZS after all, it obvious that kiwi’s must be a smarter bunch than aussies who can’t leagally touch wiring for fear of electrocution and death (or drowning in the case of plumbing) :p:p:p

My son is a qualified sparky, and lived in England in the 90s (as all young people did then) and was amazed that a Pommie sparky just did some sort of short course (not apprentice or TAFE ) did an exam, qualified.
Australian sparkies at that time were like gold to Pommie employers.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Chemists.

If you wanna be a doctor go get a medical degree, or just sell me what I asked for and shut your pie hole.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Added to this is their poor standards of workmanship and their idea that Australian standards are something aspirational rather than being the minimum standard it is :mad:

Actually, unless an Australian Standard is legislated, it is just aspirational.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Chemists.

If you wanna be a doctor go get a medical degree, or just sell me what I asked for and shut your pie hole.

Yea Benzodiazepine is what I asked for not if a have this script thing you ask of..... Gee It's not a play ffs.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67