Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] things to replace when doing a cam swap?

beej2beej

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE ssv A6
i did my cam at 130K mate and it sounds like one of my lifters is starting to sound suss, so gonna investigate. my tuner said it would be quicker/easier and cheaper in the long run to pull the motor out to look around as he isnt 100% certain its a lifter, def a noise from that area but not a consistent sound... while the motor is out it makes a good time to do a stall :) maybe the lifter may **** cause of the cam, or cause of the age, or just pure coincidence not sure but thought i would share and hopfully save you some cash from it :)

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Front crank seal on the timing case. They're near on impossible to reuse without having them leak.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
While your there it's up to you but maybe an oil pump or if not an oil pump o'ring as you'll need to pull the oil pump off.

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE... (TBA)
When I did cam upgrade I fitted:

Camshaft, LS7 lifters, LS2 lifter guides, spring kit (springs, retainers, locks, locators & seals), pushrods, head gaskets, rocker cover gaskets, inlet & exhaust manifold gaskets, water pump gaskets, timing cover gasket, timing cover seal, ARP head bolts, ARP harmonic balancer bolts, Powerbond underdriven balancer, ARP camshaft sprocket & retainer bolts, ARP stainless 12-point timing cover & water pump bolts, Cloyes billet timing kit with C5R Racing chain, LS2 dampener & nitrided cam & crank gears, Melling oil pump.

That's pretty much it. Do it right or don't do it at all..

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
half that stuff doesn't need doing for a 222/224 cam, maybe if your throwing in a monster cam revving to 8grand