Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thoughts?

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
ok, so im looking to buy a VX commodore shortly.
im looking at acclaim or better (essentially because i want power windows)

a friend of mine is selling his sound system.
12" 1200 pioneer champion series sub.
800watt pioneer 2 chan. amp.
sony Xplod 6x9s.

for $300

im pretty sure thats a decent deal.

im woundering if i would be able to run these ok off the stock HU.
i would like to run the 4 door speakers straight off the HU and the sub/6x9s off the amp.

is this possible?

buying a HU will be happening a bit later on, but if i can make do with the stock one, itll save me some coin for a while.

thanks.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I dont know how many times we have to say this, but if you have a sub/s, you DO NOT need 6x9s. The only reason they make them is to cater for people who want extra bass but dont want to add a subwoofer etc.

So get rid of them, you will not need them. Not to mention you wont be able to run them off the amp as its only 2 channel (you'll need to bridge those channels to power the sub) So basically youre buying a 12" subwoofer and a 800w max 2 channel amplfier. I suppose its not bad deal, but not extremely cheap. Im sure for another $100 you could buy them all brand new.
Anyways, you will be able to run the amp/sub from the stock head-unit with the aid of a line out connverter or the high level inputs (if the amp has them). You'll need to "tap" into the rear speaker wiring and run these to your LOC / amp.

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
yeah, thats prty much my thought on the 6x9s.. but hes doing me a favor selling me cheap, so im doing him a favor taking them off him.

all this sorta stuff doesnt really make logical sense to me.

in my mind id be running the 6x9s off one channel and the sub off the other?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
1 channel means 1 speaker, in theory you could run both 6x9s off one channel and run the subwoofer off the other.....but it will sound like crap, not to mention the 6x9s will only be receiving the left/right (depending on which channel you use) signal, and the sub the other signal.

As HamaTime said, you can either run a subwoofer or 2 speakers from a 2 channel amplfier.

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
if i ditched the 6x9s, would the sub + the stock speakers/HU sound alright?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
It should ok, although upgrading the fronts to spits and an aftermarket head-unit will see a big change.

But thats something for the future ;)

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
in not up with car audio lingo.

are slits just like your standard $100-200 6" speakers you grab from JB or something alike?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Splits are like a normal speaker, but instead of having that little speaker (tweeter) mounted in the centre of the speaker it is seperate to allow you to mount it higher up on the door trim / dash or off axis (so its on a different angle to the woofer). They also have a dedicated crossover to "split" the different sounds to the woofer and tweeter.

Basically the end result is much clearer sound, i could go into detail about why splits are better than coaxials but i think you probably wont understand ;)

Heres a link to some on Ryda:

Ryda Car Audio - 6" Component Speaker Store