Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thunder or not

Luton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Can someone please tell me how I can tell the difference is between VE ute and a Thunder ute

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've got a Thunder so I can assist with this.

Charcoal alloy wheels, leather bolstered seats, and some thunder badges.

Holden claimed it was over $3000 worth of extras, but I struggle to see it.

Also mine was one of the very late ones, and they'd run out of the charcoal wheels, so Holden put the standard S2 SSV wheels on it instead.....which was annoying.

The thing with the "special badges" was it was all a marketing ploy to make it seem like something new and exciting when sales were starting to slump OR when there was a new model about to come out and they had a surpluss of parts left over. Theres really nothing special about a Thunder, Storm, Z series etc.

For example the Z series was used to get rid of a heap of stuff left over from the VE's before the VF was released. People knew the VF was coming so they used the Z series to try and lure people into buying a VE as it's a "limited edition" so they didn't have hundreds of VE's sitting around because nobody wanted them once the VF was launched.

They were just ways of adding a little bit of badging to try and help sales pick up by tricking the customer into thinking they were getting something rare and limited edition. At the end of the day it was just an SV6/SS with some badges really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've got a Thunder so I can assist with this.

Charcoal alloy wheels, leather bolstered seats, and some thunder badges.

Holden claimed it was over $3000 worth of extras, but I struggle to see it.

Also mine was one of the very late ones, and they'd run out of the charcoal wheels, so Holden put the standard S2 SSV wheels on it instead.....which was annoying.

The thing with the "special badges" was it was all a marketing ploy to make it seem like something new and exciting when sales were starting to slump. Theres really nothing special about a Thunder, Storm, Z series etc.

They were just ways of adding a little bit of badging to try and help sales pick up by tricking the customer into thinking they were getting something rare and limited edition. At the end of the day it was just an SV6/SS with some badges really.

And sunroof on SSV Z sedan.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
And sunroof on SSV Z sedan.
aaah yep.

I do admit, I did like the chrome dress on the front bumpers of the Z's, was a nice touch.

Should have been standard on all S2's I reckon.