Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking sound from engine after startup

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
HPR10 is a pretty good oil. Mobil make good products also. I use Shell Helix 20W50, but I have a VS, the same grade oil is recommended for the VT as well. Just use a quality oil with the correct rating. Castrol Magnatec is supposed to be good as well.

What's the exact viscosity for VT oil? I'm at work and haven't got my manual with me and I plan to get some new oil at lunch!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
20w50 is the recommended oil, or 10w30 I think, for extremely cold climates. You don't need anything that has a cold rating lower than 20, but you can go as high as a 60 or 65 even, but if you go a higher hot viscosity then you will need to use a fairly good quality oil that has good film strength. Mobil make one, Penzoil I think do one as well.

RockyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wgn, VP Sedan, V6 Ride on Lawnmower
Dont worry too mutch about the ticking. as said its pretty common.

I have a similar problem. Car starts up and i hear a ticking noise. but it comes from the hippies next door. with their stupid Pile 'o' crap buzz box.

I tried magnatec years ago, once. I thought it was pretty crap. but thats just my opinion. like they say, pick a good quality oil. If you can see it in woolies, dont toutch it. think a RRP of more than $30 a 4L bottle, and you are half way there. I pay $70 a 5L bottle. but it's worth it!

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Dont worry too mutch about the ticking. as said its pretty common.

I have a similar problem. Car starts up and i hear a ticking noise. but it comes from the hippies next door. with their stupid Pile 'o' crap buzz box.

I tried magnatec years ago, once. I thought it was pretty crap. but thats just my opinion. like they say, pick a good quality oil. If you can see it in woolies, dont toutch it. think a RRP of more than $30 a 4L bottle, and you are half way there. I pay $70 a 5L bottle. but it's worth it!

LOL!!!! What's with supermarkets stocking engine oil anyways??? Hahahaha

RockyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wgn, VP Sedan, V6 Ride on Lawnmower
Well, when the hippies pick up their $50 organic box of wheaties, they can pick up half a trolley of $5 home brand oil for the combi :) .

And then come and tell me that my commy is bad to the environment. if they can find me through their smoke! :) HAHAHAHAHA

Its real fun where I live! :)

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Good morning peoples!

Just thought that I'd ask 2 quick questions as I can't seem to hit the nail on the head with these. Firstly, as the title specifies, after I start up the car and whilst waiting for the car to warm up, I hear a constant "ticking" noise coming from the motor. When I rev the car too, I can still hear the clicking thru the heavy revving.
First a question.......why are you waiting for the car to warm up before driving? (assume this is not a racing car?)
Whether the prob disappears due to the parts warming up and a clearance issue with the valve train being resolved, or due to the oil circulating better when it becomes warm....I dont know. My reckoning would be to actually try an oil with a lower cold viscosity rating(circulates faster when cold), do we know what is in there now? possibly choose a 15W/40 or 15W/50, the former would be cheaper.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This has been covered, and I'm going to sound like a broken record.

15w oil will flow no better than a 20w at zero degrees C, it is only at temperatures below zero that it will flow better. It used to be the case that you had to use a 10 or 15 cold weight to get a lighter hot weight, but now with technology in oil development advancing, you can get a just about any combination of multigrade oil. Some engines respond better to different oils, even different brands of the same grade. I know my VS runs well and isn't noisy using Shell Helix, I'm not going to change, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.