Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chains done still getting P0017 on 2009 sv6 LLT

Philtizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH statesman
hi i have just finished doing my timing chains on a 2009 sv6 LLT 3.6 after getting code P0008. i have now test driven multiple times and am getting check engine code is P0017 cam/crankshaft pos. correlation sensor b bank 1. i have removed cleaned and swapped over all sensors still getting the fault doesn't come straight away. i have also put new spark plugs and coil overs is done 230,000km its driving nice a little tinnie compared to my vz V6. Im at a loss of what to do now dont really want to take it to Holden any help would be appreciated
thanks phil

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Tooth out?

Philtizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH statesman
made sure they were all correct might have to open it up again

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
PITA with sealed cover

Ignoble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have fitted new chains etc and checked timing twice. Fitted new valves and swapped sensors L to R. It drives ok and fuel economy about 10l/100 but keeps throwing P0017 and P0008

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have fitted new chains etc and checked timing twice. Fitted new valves and swapped sensors L to R. It drives ok and fuel economy about 10l/100 but keeps throwing P0017 and P0008

It's likely you havent put the chain on properly and messed with the timings, one or more teeth out can do that.
I'm a tard when it comes to these chains so I let mechanics do it, outsource risk that way.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It's likely you havent put the chain on properly and messed with the timings, one or more teeth out can do that.
I'm a tard when it comes to these chains so I let mechanics do it, outsource risk that way.
Outsourcing the risk is a good idea. Variable valve timing setups increase the risk of not doing it right. I did a timing chain on a Nissan Pulsar quite a while ago and bent two valves because I didn’t use the correct method to lock the VVT first. I lined up all the marks correctly and turned it over by hand half a dozen times but the VVT phasing made the timing “incorrect” once the engine started.

I won’t touch timing chains on VVT engines anymore because you can’t even verify you won’t destroy anything by turning the engine over manually.

Ignoble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I bought all new cam sensors off Aliexpress (search PC908) for about $10 each. No more CEL. Joy