Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting Tail Light

Seanyy

"HULK"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
I tinted mine with nightshade and left the matt finish quite like it as it's different and always get positive comments about them I only put 2 coats on mine and got pulled for them being tinted you can still see the light easily even though they are tinted but cops said that because of the matt finish they are illegal they can be tinted but has to be clear tint like the stuff you can now get to tint your headlights.
No offence dude, did you skip the English lesson where they taught about full stops and stopping for a breath? :D

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Tinting lights (either headlights or brakelights) is illegal in Victoria, irrespective of the "shade". Oh no, of course it's not dangerous. To some! It is correct that if a driver runs into the back of you and it is noted that your brake lights are tinted, irrespective of the accident circumstances you'll take a hit (a big hit) from insurance. I know, I have family in Vero and GIO seeing this very often.

The road environment should not be made more hazardous by chipmunks looking to stand out. It's better you think of other road users who rely on a clear and unfetted picture of your presence in all conditions and not assume "it's their problem". It isn't.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
couple coats of night shade, let it dry over night then a couple coats of clear to make it look nice and shiny ( unless you like that flat matt finish). F**k the laws mate, do what you wanna do, lifes too short to worry about petty **** just don't go too dark, then you'll get shafted.

Yeah, "#### the law" until you end up with a truck up your arse because they couldn't see your "cool" tailights in bad weather.

Something that people seem to miss is that tailights are not there to look nice, they are there for a specific reason, that is for other people to see you.

If you're building a show car, or a drag car that is NOT going to be on the road then go for your life. But on the roads I'd rather know that when someone rear ends me they don't have an excuse for it.

And if you do get rear ended at night with nighshade, you're insurance company can say your cover is void. Doesn't strike me as worth the risk for some "cool" taillights.

Thesickness86

Thesickness86
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Ve ute
I no this thread is old but to anyone else reading it. I recommend using tint film, so u can take it off if u either don't like it or u get into trouble. And also get some led bulbs, they r much brighter so people can still clearly see and u still get the desired effect with the look of the lights.

tytan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
After you tint your headlights is it easy enough to take off the paint with something like petrol?

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I would imagine TURPS or thinners would get it of since the headlights are glass, though will eat the tail light lenses because they're plastic.

Gus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Acclaim
Ah didn't read that yeah sorry I meant for the tail lights!

Do you know anything that would be good to use on the tail lights?

Thanks