Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting Tail Light

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Cant remove nightshade after its on. Mate tried on his brand new Maloo (not even 3 weeks old) after being defected. And almost everything made it cloud real bad. Rest just didn't work.

In short, if you are going to do your lights do it right the first time, and be prepared to have to buy a new set if the cops get you. There is some film you can tint it with, its essentially like window tint that can be removed but I heard that stuff bubbles and flakes off eventually.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I would imagine TURPS or thinners would get it of since the headlights are glass, though will eat the tail light lenses because they're plastic.

Headlights are plastic.

You wont get it off regardless.

Dont tint the tail lights just buy SS ones if you have an SV6 or Calais ones for the larger style tail lights.

PHaSR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LUMINA
With all the ####ing problems with getting/having tinted lights surely there are some aftermarket light manufacturers that are trying to satisfy the obvious market for tinted lights, why isnt anyone making aftermarket lights with tint that are still ADR compliant???

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
With all the ####ing problems with getting/having tinted lights surely there are some aftermarket light manufacturers that are trying to satisfy the obvious market for tinted lights, why isnt anyone making aftermarket lights with tint that are still ADR compliant???

Some do but from memory it's a pita to get ADR approval so most don't bother..

Holden427

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega
Hey guys i'm getting my headlights tinted on the weekend by solar tint, $50 but thats mates rates. Im not going to dark and i have bought 5000k globes so that it will be alot brighter than standard globes. What do you think the chances of me getting defected will be?????

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Hey guys i'm getting my headlights tinted on the weekend by solar tint, $50 but thats mates rates. Im not going to dark and i have bought 5000k globes so that it will be alot brighter than standard globes. What do you think the chances of me getting defected will be?????

I'd lookup the relevant ADR and go with that.

Couple of quick links

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nt/consol_reg/avsr324/s81.html

(1) When on, a headlight, or additional headlight, fitted to a vehicle must:

(a) show only white light;

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights

Headlight protectors

Headlight protectors are a popular accessory, however their value in protecting headlights from damage is questionable. Most modern cars use polycarbonate plastic for headlamp lenses instead of easily damaged glass. Polycarbonate is very strong and offers good shatter resistance and in this respect is superior to glass lenses, and the acrylic used in lamp protectors. Lamp protectors may offer some protection against scratching of the lens though.

Queensland Safety Certificate requirements state that clear headlight protectors are acceptable provided they don’t affect the light intensity on high or low beam. Tinted covers are also acceptable but must be removed when the high or low beam headlights are operated.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
What do you think the chances of me getting defected will be?????

pretty bloody high from what ive read about the aussie cops.... haha.. can't you just get those clip on covers?

Holden427

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega
Im not going to dark and by the sounds of it it just has to show white light and not be to dark that you cant see haha.

Holden427

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega
Is it easy to remove proffessional tint from headlight just incase i get told to remove it? Anyone know how to remove it haha?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Is it easy to remove proffessional tint from headlight just incase i get told to remove it? Anyone know how to remove it haha?

Ask the tint mob when they put it on.