Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota MR2 Engine Rebuild or Swap

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Come to think of it, your rings indeed may be stuffed.

Should be able to tell that with the head off, the amount of piston slop would give worn rings away...

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Well there ya go.

If the turbo engine has 210psi, and they have a lower compression ratio, then yours should be at least that.

I'd get another opinion to see if its stuffed.

If it is, I'd be jumping on that turbo motor.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
All these questions you are asking are probably better answered by people who know these cars. There are a few Toyota and MR2 forums around, I suggest you sign up and ask away there, because dare I say it, on here its blind leading the blind in regards to this particular car.

From an ex Toyota owner, for what its worth, I doubt putting a 3SGTE into a non turbo donor is as simple as dropping the engine in. You will need the turbo ECU and loom atleast.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
All these questions you are asking are probably better answered by people who know these cars. There are a few Toyota and MR2 forums around, I suggest you sign up and ask away there, because dare I say it, on here its blind leading the blind in regards to this particular car.

From an ex Toyota owner, for what its worth, I doubt putting a 3SGTE into a non turbo donor is as simple as dropping the engine in. You will need the turbo ECU and loom atleast.

Hi ARATIC, I have also been asking around on Toyota Nation - MR2 Forum.
All the ECU, Looms are included in the package. I know this a commodore forum, but engines are similiar. I've spoken to mechanics about getting a conversion done aswell. It's just easier to ask JC because it's got a decent amount of people and quite knowledgable about general engines.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
So far I've found:
• 3S-GE - low kms - fully tested - $1250 + Shipping
• Rev 2 3SGTE - Private Sale one - asking $1500 prob get for $1200 - 85,000kms, Rebuilt gearbox + engine, turbo, intercooler, ecu, loom + second spare engine.
• Rev 2 3SGTE - 210PSI Compression All Round - Turbo Manifold, Injectors, Alternator, A/C Comp, P/S Pump, Loom, ECU, AFM - 95,000kms, 60 day warranty - $1600 + Shipping
• 3S-GE Beams + Gearbox - 93,000km - $2800 + Shipping
• Rev 4 3SGTE, engine complete with electrics to run - $3300 + Shipping

fkford

Love The Beast!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec S2
geez mate sounds like your up the ****!

My advice to you would be to get Nulon stop smoke, detail it and sell it!

If you dont have enough mechanical knowledge to tinker yourself then flog it off it isn't worth the money.

So iv heard MR2's are a great little sports car with the engine being in the back and all but for someone with little to no mechanical knowledge its sort of a money pit because in most cases the engine needs to come out for things to be done.

My old car (VS) was a dog. Stuff was always going wrong but i held on to it because i liked it so much (bad idea). I sold it one week ago, best thing i ever did.

You could probably fetch 5000$ for your car then save a little more over time and get another one. I have seen a few MR2's the same as yours with less KM's for 6k.

cheers.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
My old car (VS) was a dog. Stuff was always going wrong but i held on to it because i liked it so much (bad idea). I sold it one week ago, best thing i ever did.

You could probably fetch 5000$ for your car then save a little more over time and get another one. I have seen a few MR2's the same as yours with less KM's for 6k.

cheers.

Unfortunately I live in whoop whoop area called Perth. There aren't too many around, cheapest around atm is $8.5k with 180,000kms (prob have similiar problems to mine). I like the MR2 because it's so different. Targa, Coupe, Mid Engine, 2 Seater.

I had a VS S2 Calais before, it was good car, but when I sold it, I only got 4k for it. Brought it for 6k. Started having head problems and transmission problems aswell.

I want to learn about cars, just don't really have a guide to show me. I got a manual but..... yerr. Atleast with the Private Sale car, I get 2 engines so I can take apart one and learn some things and also keep it for spares.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Just rang like 10 wreckers/parts places. NONE! Closest I got was shipped 1 from Eastern States! No N/A, no Turbo, Nothing! Perth is Ridiculous!

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I mite have found something! Engine Exchange. Full rebuild $4480 (although doesn't include water pump, timing belt, tensioner)... covers from head to sump - pistons, head gasket, valves etc. This might be a new option. $3190 for the rebuild, $1290 for taking out and putting back in.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS

You clearly have not read the reply's to this thread.. i am a member of the MR2 owners club and have owned 2 of them and im certainly not blind :p , no one said is it as simple as just putting the turbo motor in.. any fool would know its not that simple.