Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Temp Guage ??

guss

Reaction score
Website
users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
VN Calais
Unless theres is some sought of aftermarket screen filter that would do a better job than the factory fitted one ?

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Would there be a difference in operating temps between a standard box compared to one with say a shiftkit and mods a like? Im just thinking about the pressures of the oil and the temps when your on the track ect compared to a standard box. Im not 100% sure about how an auto box pumps the oil but would it pump more oil to the cooler at higher rpm when needed most?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Would there be a difference in operating temps between a standard box compared to one with say a shiftkit and mods a like? Im just thinking about the pressures of the oil and the temps when your on the track ect compared to a standard box. Im not 100% sure about how an auto box pumps the oil but would it pump more oil to the cooler at higher rpm when needed most?

i don't think the shift kit itself will increase fluid temps, it's probably more the fact that people who fit shift kits probably drivethere cars harder then most. shift kits actually improvethe life ofyour tranny as it spends less time slipping between gears etc. high stall converters etc i think create more of the heat . i know that TCI do a kit to improve your line pressure in the tranny by about 15% to incease the holding power etc. not sure about pump pressure and rpm, i'm only a novice when it comes to auto box's but i guess it must be like an engine oil pump in the respect that fluid pressure increases with rpm and there must be some sort of pressure relief to control the pressure etc, (pressure must be high at idle though otherwiseyou would never move ofthe line in 1st gear) i'm just guessing here though

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
i shouldn't see a problem with installing a remote filter, the filter is huge compared to the engine filter (fram ph8a, the same i believe as the ford V8 engine oil filter)so no doubt it has really good flow and ATF is much thinner then regular engine oil so it should flow well enough, i doubt it's going to reduce the flow by much at all through the cooler. even if only 1/4 the oil at any one time is flowing through the cooler as the system circulates the fluid it's all going to pass through the cooler/new filter at some stage and thats got to be better then just the screen filter in the tranny sump which really isn't going to remove jack from the fluid really

When you install it check the flow after it and the cooler if you get 1L under 20seconds then it should be fine.

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride

Well Shifts kits do and dont heat the oil. The kits open up lube holes and increase pressure so them make the trans use more oil from the pump. So that means less volume of oil that gets to the cooler. However the trans is lubed better which helps with oil life so its a catch 22. The heat come from the stall converter if you use a high stall then a cooler is a must aswell as good fluid.

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unless theres is some sought of aftermarket screen filter that would do a better job than the factory fitted one ?

It would be better installing more magnets into the sump.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It would be better installing more magnets into the sump.

I've just noticed that the new filter that came with my TCI rebuild/shift kit isn't of the screen type, it's some sort of filter material

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try it but check the flow