Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turn volume above 7, sub cuts out.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VN Calais 1989
It has two voice coils (both two ohm) wired in series (4ohm total impedance). AMP+>1stCoil+>1stCoil->2ndCoil+>2ndCoil->AMP- (if that makes any sense). I think I may've got the trace messed up on the wiring and may be running it back the front. I was informed it shouldn't do any damage though.
Checking grounds in the morning. Note to self (and the idiot that grounded it...) SELF TAPPERS DO NOT MAKE GOOD GROUNDS...

Edit: Nic92, in the boot, in a wheel-well type area (don't know how to explain it).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Self tappers make sufficient grounds if used properly.

Sand back the area where you want it ground and clamp it down with three or four self tappers and one or two through the actual metal of the O

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Self tappers make sufficient grounds if used properly.

Sand back the area where you want it ground and clamp it down with three or four self tappers and one or two through the actual metal of the O

I don't have access to any of that equipment at the moment, but sanding and re-screwing sounds like a wise idea. It'll just be a temporary fix as unfortunately I have no tools available. Thanks mate! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help =)

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
I love you "Like" anyones posts that mention your set-up.... I'm gonna create a thread and have 50 responses all the same saying "I like your set-up Nic92"

Reckon that'll keep ya busy for awhile! hehe

Because I like that!

kilebantick, get some photos. You sand it back because paint or dirt has resistance. Just saying =P.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Re did all of the ground. The sub still cuts out at a certain volume point.

When all the battery terminals (and the fuse!) were taken out I was undoing the power cable and it started sparking like mad. It seems like the amp still has a loooooottt of internal power? Is there a chance my amp is fuarked?

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Re did all of the ground. The sub still cuts out at a certain volume point.

When all the battery terminals (and the fuse!) were taken out I was undoing the power cable and it started sparking like mad. It seems like the amp still has a loooooottt of internal power? Is there a chance my amp is fuarked?

That is because the Capacitors inside the amp still have a charge. Your meant to disconnect the negative first every time and connect it last.

Your not shorting it out are you? Positive touching negative.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've checked all that, it's perfectly fine. I'll re-seat all of the wires nonetheless. Nothing is shorting out. It seems when the sub draws a certain load from the amp it just flicks off then back on, but with no power to the sub at all. :(.

Could you write up (pretty please with sugar on top) the exact order that I'm meant to connect everything? RCA's, Remote (trigger), Power, Ground, L/R from sub itself, ect?

Connected a 40a 12v fan to the amp+ and amp- to drain the remaining charge, the fan spun up and slowly slowed down as the remaining charge left (the fan was an old massacred one from a computer).

Thanks for your help Nic :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Actually, it's not quite normal. Once the capacitors are charged, thats it. You will get a quick spark on your very first install, but once it's charged then they have equal potential and will stop sparking. If it continues to spark it usually means the caps are losing charge.

I could be very wrong on this and perhaps StoneX can comment further as this is more his alley. But as typical rule, one spark when you hook them up out of the box and shouldn't really do it again... it can, but not normally.

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just went and checked each connection and wire. When I was driving along the volume was up rather loud and the sub was pumping away like a mad man. Was it possible that one of the voice coils blew and as such I'm getting a 2ohm load on a 4ohm amp instead of the usual 4 ohm load on a 4 ohm amp? (Two 2ohm coils in series).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Just went and checked each connection and wire. When I was driving along the volume was up rather loud and the sub was pumping away like a mad man. Was it possible that one of the voice coils blew and as such I'm getting a 2ohm load on a 4ohm amp instead of the usual 4 ohm load on a 4 ohm amp? (Two 2ohm coils in series).

Yep, quite possible... or one of the wires has come off inside the enclosure. Rip it out and have a look.