Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre sizes help needed

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hi all, I was just looking at my tyres and noticed splits and wear indicating a separation will be on the way I think from the heat here, I have had Federal super steels 595, 245/40ZR18 then it has 93W on the side wall as well, I have been looking at tyres on tyre sales and there is a huge variety to choose form, very few match up with the details on the side wall, just want to know if a tyre with lets say 245/40R18 97W will fit or not as the tyre on there has 93W and the Z is missing? I would call a tyre shop for advice but they are all shut lol, thanks in advance! ;)

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
the 93 and 97 is load rating not tyre size, the tyres will fit just fine, its just what they are load rated too in KG per tyre.

Make sure you keep the new tyres pumped up to 38ish psi, you probally ran em too low and ####ed the side walls.

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense cheers, the side walls are good but the tread is cracking, fine cracks atm, I read some reviews and it seems to be common, one of the reviews said they are race tyres lol oh well I got 3 years out of them and about 18000 kms, previous owner put them on, what are the good brands for passenger cars that can handle heat? it is hot as here

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
We had the same federals in smaller size on my wifes Corolla and they did the same, cracking along the lines of the tread even though there was plenty of life left on the tread depth.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cracks in the tread pattern point to old aged tyres.....Yes, I read that someone got 3 years out of them, but how old was the tyre when it was fitted? Tyres are only good for 5 years

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
The week/year should be stamped on the tyres when you buy them. Occasionally the cheap tyre places will have old stock, which is why they are cheap... The last set I bought were only a month or two old

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The tyres on our corolla were only 3 months old when they were fitted according to the date moulding in the tyres (1 was 5 months old) and we had them on for around 2-3 years and as said had plenty of tread left when we changed them over.
On the corolla we fitted Falken 452's 205/50x16 which have been good a bit over 3 years on the car with 2112 average mould date.
On my Senator I currently run Continental ContiSportContact 3 275/35x18 on rear and Goodyear F1 series2 245/40x18 on the front and find the combination quite good both in ride and handling

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Thanks for the replies, found the stamp, it says DOT UXJX 4210, according to google that means they were made in the 42nd week of 2010, nearly 6 years old, currently I am looking at Kumho

KUMHO
ECSTA LE SPORT KU39
245/40R18 97Y

Will cost $1212 fitted through the tyre sale web site, will give the tyre shop a ring tomorrow and see if they can beat that price before I order, they look like a good quiet safe tyre, ill see what they say tomorrow :)