Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre wear on rears

GrumpyAndrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss
Can anyone please advise. I bought a VT SS and am finding the rear tyres are wearing quickly on the inside edges. I hear this is a typical problem but no one can tell me how to fix it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
A camber bush kit for the rear is the go. Last time I saw it discussed here it was roughly $400 supplied and fitted.

FYI too, the lower it is, the worse the wear and camber is.

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Stuffed bushes and may need a camber kit.. No nothing about it, I tend to leave that to the egg spurts.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Can anyone please advise. I bought a VT SS and am finding the rear tyres are wearing quickly on the inside edges. I hear this is a typical problem but no one can tell me how to fix it.
Hi
I replaced my shocks two years ago. So far all good.
Before replacement, looking at the back of car,the tops of the tyres would lean in. They seem straight now.
I have 19" x 235 x 35 tyres. They have been on for two years.
What was wrong with my car may not apply to you.
Take your car to a expert for a quote.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
And pump the tyres. Regularly.
What are you running right now?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A camber kit in the rear helps reduce the rear edge wear problem all these commodores suffer....It won't solve it completely because all it takes is some extra weight placed in the rear of the car once it is set and all of a sudden it "squats" more, causing the edge to wear again. Even taking off in these commodores, causes the car to squat in the rear, adding to the inner edge wear problem.

Another solution to reducing the edge wear problem is to add air bags inbetween the coils.....This allows the rear height of the car to stay constant, with the addition and reduction of weight, which then reduces the squat in the rear.

Stopping the inner edge wear on the rears of these is impossible, despite what is said by others....The rear design of the rear suspension means the wheels will lean in on the top, adding extra weight being placed on the inner edge of the tyre. The more weight added, or even the acceleration of the car, means the car squats in the rear, causing the weight to be transferred more to the inner edge of the tyre. The addition of camber kits and airbags do help reduce it, but will never solve it completely.

When the later model commodores (ie VX series 2 and onwards), Holden attempted to patch the problem, with the addition of rear toe adjusters and a slight redesign of the mounting points, but it didn't solve it....It wasn't until the VE came into production, did the problem get solved, with a complete rear suspension redesign, which eliminates the weight being placed on the inner edge