Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres - What responsibility does the tyre place have??

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
Hi guys,

wondering if you might be able to answer this, a tyre place sold me new tyres, however i got pulled up by the police and ordered off the road because the tyres DID NOT meet the load limit on my tyre placard.

so now i have nice mags, and brand new tyres gathering dust!!. while i'm rolling on stockies!.

Now do i really have any recoarse since i'm a car guy but i ain't an expert and sorta work things out as i go along, and when i give my car to experts i expect that they know what my car should have!!, surely it's their responsibility to check my tyre placard and fit only tyres that meet that, and if i request other tyres they should advise me prior and if i say so what then fit them!!.

can anyone here help empower me with a bit more knowledge before i ring them to request/demand they take the tyres back and refund me!. (tyres have literally travelled less than 50 k's, one still has those little rubber things sticking out of it!!) :banstick:

Cheers

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
It depends on what was discussed. If you asked for 'the ones with the cool tread pattern' like most people, then no. If you said you want some that meet the load limits for your car, and they don't, then they should replace them for you. Not sure how the law works on such issues tho.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
considering that i stated i needed ones to be legal for the car since i was being roadworthied by the cops and my old ones were getting old and tread wearing thin!.

the only thing other than that i specified was the width and profile!.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I would have thought the tyre place has a duty of care to supply tyres suitable for your vehicle, unless you instructed them specifically otherwise.

If it were me I'd talk to your local police shop, and/or consumer affairs in your state, then go back to the tyre joint and give them an earful.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd suggest ringing and asking the shop first then, since it was discussed they had to be the legal type for your car. If they say too bad, then take the police/consumer affairs route that Danja suggested.

i'm timmy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
tyre are leagaly not alowed to sell you tyres that dont meet you cars limit!!!!! ring complain they must fix!!! i am a wheel alinger/tyre fitter have been for 11 years trust me they can be sued!!

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
so if they are not legally allowed, how easy is it for them to check my cars specs prior to fitting the tyres??

EDit - i mean before they actually see the car to manually check?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
so if they are not legally allowed, how easy is it for them to check my cars specs prior to fitting the tyres??

EDit - i mean before they actually see the car to manually check?

They would (should) just check the tyre placard.

CalaisJohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais S2
as easy as looking at your tyre placard in the glove-box i'd imagine, and there's always the internet..