Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres - What responsibility does the tyre place have??

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
considering that i stated i needed ones to be legal for the car since i was being roadworthied by the cops and my old ones were getting old and tread wearing thin!.

the only thing other than that i specified was the width and profile!.

As you specified the width and profile you wanted you may have a problem, but you would think they should have advised you that the load rating was not correct.
What were the specs on the tyres they fitted?

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
they are 235/35 19's
the load rating is 615

all i wanted was legal 235/35's as i was being roadeed by the cops on the sunday so i got it up to spec, (even then they still found problems, but they had to look hard for them!)

but even though if they advised me, mate they're under the load rating and i said so what, then stiff **** for me. but they never advised me so how can i be at fault??, i'm the consumer, i'm not meant to know,

What about lady drivers who know FA about cars?? my mum can't tell the difference between a ford and holden until she sees the badge! (yes i know, but my bro and i have tried!), do they get screwed over because they can get away with it??

plus if they surreptitiously replace tyres knowing they are under the load and i crash surely some blame would be on them!

anyway looks like the phone call will be interesting to them :boxing:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If the tyres were purchased from a reputable dealer, this should never have happened. When purchasing items like tyres, it's reasonable to expect that the technical aspects of the product and its operating conditions would be known by the dealer and he would provide the right advice to you prior to purchase.

This clown obviously just wanted your money and didn't give a rat's arse about the legalities. It's been stated elsewhere by a tyre fitter that the actions of the seller were wrong, so I'd be heading straight back and demanding replacement tyres or your relevant Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs department will be hearing from you.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Just out of interest, what is the rating meant to be per your placard?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Did the tyre place supply and fit the tyres to your car? Can those tyres be legally fitted to your car? If so, then I think the shop should have a duty of care to fit safe tyres to your vehicle. I'd ring them and have a chat.

Secondly, if youhave no joy and paid for the tyres via credit card, I would contact the bank's credit card department and say that the goods on your purchase were not fit for purpose and the vendor refuses to accept return of the goods. The bank will then reverse the transaction. DO NOT USE THE TYRES ANY MORE THAN YOU ALREADY HAVE! If push comes to shove and you have to show the tyres to somebody, if you rock up with them 50% worn out then you will not be likely to have a successful claim.

Reaper

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
Any reputable tyre shop... sales man would have firstly asked you, what sort of driving do you do? How much you want to spend...If you plan on keeping the rims you have..( over here anyways..) mostly it comes down to what the customer ask's for how ever.. if you ask'd and paid for directional tires and they were fittedwrong (oposite direction of travel ) then the tire shop can have there arse kick'd and be liable in case of a accident.. ) as for load rating to suit your vehical and rims fitted.. one would think the tire fitter's would have enough brains and pride in there work have that sorted for you...

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
well i had round 1 with the this morning, they have agreed to replace the tyres, however the brand they have offered is a cheap chinese import!!

also i rang a good mate of my brothers (brother used to be in car industry) anyway he's a tyre fitter, and it is illegal for them to fit them when they do not meet the placard, as in case of accident they become liable to the amount that the insurance claim they are (eg: wrong tyres account for 10% of the fault of accident, then tyre fitters responsible for 10% of costs!)

and for the guy who asked my tyre placard asks for a 630KG load, or load index of 92 and speed rating above H.

with my research today, the only legal 235/35R19 tyres for probably most if not all commodores are the cheap chinese **** and the only way to get quality tyres with the load rating is to go to 245/35R19's! - all the ones i found in 235 came up 615kg, then when i went up to 245's the kg rating is 650kg

either way A: if the cops hadn't have pulled me up and forced me to make a hasty decision i would have done this research first however, i didn't and now am left with something that thankfully is not my fault and therefore very fixable.

And for those that are interested, the tyres i got were Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra, and the tyres they offered to trade me are Mayrun MR800 or MR600...

sorry for long post :blah blah:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
well i had round 1 with the this morning, they have agreed to replace the tyres, however the brand they have offered is a cheap chinese import!!

also i rang a good mate of my brothers (brother used to be in car industry) anyway he's a tyre fitter, and it is illegal for them to fit them when they do not meet the placard, as in case of accident they become liable to the amount that the insurance claim they are (eg: wrong tyres account for 10% of the fault of accident, then tyre fitters responsible for 10% of costs!)

and for the guy who asked my tyre placard asks for a 630KG load, or load index of 92 and speed rating above H.

with my research today, the only legal 235/35R19 tyres for probably most if not all commodores are the cheap chinese **** and the only way to get quality tyres with the load rating is to go to 245/35R19's! - all the ones i found in 235 came up 615kg, then when i went up to 245's the kg rating is 650kg

Sounds like a good outcome.

either way A: if the cops hadn't have pulled me up and forced me to make a hasty decision i would have done this research first however, i didn't and now am left with something that thankfully is not my fault and therefore very fixable.

Eh???

And for those that are interested, the tyres i got were Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra, and the tyres they offered to trade me are Mayrun MR800 or MR600...

Sorry but Maxxis are hardly the shining light when it comes to quality tyres. Don't know about the other brands you mentioned.

Reaper