Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Underglow Legality Confusion

Aternix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
Am wondering if underglow is legal in Victoria? I have looked through the Road Safety Vehicle Regulations which states only interior aftermarket lighting is legal, and doesn't specify anything outside of headlights/indicators/brakes. The ADR doesn't specifically state additional lights aren't allowed. I know WA allows underglow aslong as the lights aren't directly visible and don't flash.
https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_VS_IB_108.pdf

Cheers any help would be appreciated.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In my reading of the lighting ADR’s, they are rather specific as to what is allowed. The implication is that anything outside of what is allowed isn’t allowed ;)

The fact WA allows under vehicle lighting that can’t be seen by others simply means you can’t have your under vehicle lights ON while toy are on public roads or public car parks…

So for an absence of doubt, why not ask one of the VicRoads Testing and Inspection Centres since you live in Victoria and not WA?

PS: welcome to the JC forum :cool:

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yeap specially brought in not long after the fast and furious

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I really really hope for everyone else on the roads sake it's illegal.

You aren't the one that has to look at it, but we are all outside the car. Your about 18 years too late for the underglow/sex spec craze.

As above it was outlawed not long after the fast and furious came out. Thats what started the sex spec show car industry in Australia. I remember it well and I'm so so glad this is a thing of the past. (My high school carpark looked like the line up from the original F&F race night)

This is like hepatitis for the eyeballs
c2a39a5e16fb86fdf2044c1b65794af5.jpg

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Illegal in Victoria...
Just about everything is Illegal in Dictators Dan state except for the pollies, now than can get away with just about anything.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Just about everything is Illegal in Dictators Dan state except for the pollies, now than can get away with just about anything.

The long discussion in the SA defect thread seems to suggest things are worse over there for car owners.

Keep believing Murdoch's troops though. Also try googling dictator and check out how Dan compares to Ceaușescu, Pot or Amin.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Compared to Gaslighting Gladys or Dom the Ripper.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The long discussion in the SA defect thread seems to suggest things are worse over there for car owners.

The only worst bit is, when you are defected and need a full inspection, because S.A doesn't have any regular roadworthy inspections, so when a defect is issued for a roadworthy, they go through a car with a fine tooth combe.

Oh and having a nanny state mentality, they don't like too many modifications, like we enjoy doing....ie cams.....But hey, I'm sure other states have coppers that do come down hard on those idiots that are out there...:)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That’s one thing that should be illegal in all jurisdictions if not already the case…

I‘d rather not be distracted by what looks to be a low flying spaceship or some other unearthly monstrosity. And it’s something that distracts other drivers and interrupts their sms-ing so it just adds to a more dangerous situation :oops::rolleyes::p

Last edited: