Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Uniacidz Ride VX SS Monaro Themed

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As per this thread, updating here as well
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/202395-please-someone-help.html

Striker Issue - Fixed

And to all that helped and sympathised with me, I do thank you. Having somewhere to ask for help and getting many ideas helped me sort it out
Thanks

Ok heres the deal
Lots of swearing and round $20 to fix (sound deadener spray where i will put in the wheel arch inside and some glue)

Basically as follows

1. removed seats
2. removed sound deadening material
3. using a metal grinder, ground out an opening to access striker bracket just above the wheel arch on the inside, careful not to cut into any spot welds, only sheet metal
4. swore
5. using a led torch thingy thats on my keyring, placed it into the bottom screw hole to illuminate the inside of the wheel arch and brackets etc
6. found the backing plate not where i expected but glad it did not fall down into the chassis. was in the wheel arch
7. using a magnet from a hard drive and a coat hanger and masking tape to hold the magnet in place so doesnt flop around, put it inside wheel arch and retrived the backing plate
8. swore at the **** for causing me grief
9. reattached it to the brackets and fixed the brackets as were slightly bent and hence reason why it flopped out initially
10. quickly put a screw in place and reattached the striker.
11. sprayed primer down to cover the edges i cut round access hole i made
12. placed some sound deadening foam inside access hole (later stage will get it welded up with sheet metal)
13. spray glued the sound deadening material back into place
14. reattached seating
15. went shopping for dinner

The hardest thing was that I had no documents, did not know where the spot welds were etc. basically doing it blind so i took care and my time.

And the reason why i did it tonight, there seems to be a big police presence in my area last couple days and booze busts and if i got pulled into a breathe test and police saw my rope and wires holding my door in place, they would have defected me on the spot.
So i sped up the time to do it and did it tonight and wasnt going to stop til it was done.

Anyway, i hope you guys do not have to go through what i did. At least though there is a way to fix it. Funnily enough, no one from any other forum had dealt with it before.
dumb luck i guess.

bad picture from inside the vehicle looking into access hole i made above wheel arch and close to the striker
strike1.jpg

Inside access hole, showing bracket where backing plate slips into
strike2.jpg

Backing Plate - showing the sides where it goes into bracket
strike4.jpg

Back to normal
strike9.jpg

Example photo where backing plate fell
strike10.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Changed the front seat cushions around, so drivers side went to passenger and passenger to drivers
Never done it before on a commodore, so removed the trims, seats, back cushion and swapped the cushions over and vacuumed the area under the seats and found $2.20 ......... score

Also recharged my spare battery. Chucked it on the car for 15mins and let swapped back to original battery

Also fixed led number plate light as dodgy connection

Then took it for a spin for 30mins to get used to the newish cushion and to mould the cushion to my ass

seatpic.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Last week, did the Striker thing and also completed it by taking rear wheels off and applying some spray sound deadener as due to my frantic pleas to find a access point, scraped some deadener off.

Anyway, with wheels off, i removed the gunk from under the side skirts. Have a look for yourself and now its gonna have to be in the list of things to clean from now on.
Build up of moist dirt in a side skirt is not good. Recommend everyine to check theirs.
Took a pic of the caliper which i painted as well . Still good as the day i did it. VHT Gold Caliper paint and wax and grease remover is all i used..

Small mountain of wet dirt and sludge built up in the side skirt. Definately on the to do cleaning list from now on.
dirt1.jpg

Brake Caliper Painted ages ago still looking good. (rotors going to be changed eventually to slotted so dont car bout the rust)
calipo1.jpg

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just some minor repairs
Passenger side Wiper arm Cowl Bent and Battery Terminal Cover

Painted the battery terminal with caliper red paint as it doesnt need primer and can handle hot conditions.
Looks fresher now.

1. Wax and grease remover
2. 3 light coats of Brake Caliper Red
3. let it dry whilst doing the below

Removed the window wiper arm cowl and wiper arms as the wiper cowl was lifting up due to age i guess. Wasnt sitting flush with the windscreen in which was cause leaves and such to get underneath and so the fun began

1. removed those absolutely annoying scrivets from both cowls and lost one in engine bay :boxing:
2. removed bonnet seal
3. removed wiper motor cover
4. cleaned it out, luckily only a couple leaves
5. on the cover, reversed a scrivet as wasnt sitting flush
6. put cover back on and put back together those scrivets and bonnet seal
7. Using a old garage hairdryer that runs very hot, heated up the cowl and bent it back to original shape. Took a few goes but works brilliantly.
8. Fixed rubber strip along the cowl with Tarzan Grip of all things. Works a treat.
9. Put it all back together and marvelled that a simple job required so much.
10. Found that stupid scrivet near the heater tap
11. Realigned wiper arms
12. Happy finally fixed it.

Cost - Nothing as parts already
Saved me price of one from wreckers and 13 litres of fuel getting there as round a 100kms round trip

Spray Painted Battery Terminal Brake Caliper Red
engine11.jpg

Up close
engine2.jpg

How it sits in engine. Looks cleaner.
engine1.jpg

Cowls off, just needs to remove wiper motor cover. haate scrivets
cowl11.jpg

Warming up the cowl with hair dryer, eventually got it up close and very hot to touch and moulded it.
cowl1.jpg

How it sits now. Duct tape in place to hold rubber to cowl as being glued
cowl2.jpg

Last edited:

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Did you use a potato to take those photos? Pics with more than 5 pixels per square inch please:)

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeh my HTC doesnt like the dark. If too blurry, stand back 3 metres and should looks better ;)

Camera is on the cards.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Lol. Can't see my iPhone from that far away. Nice ride BTW.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Went to see the parents near Port Macquarie from Sydney last weekend. Filled up along the way and was impressed with the economy for a V8

It eventually got to 710km to empty by my calculations at one stage which is pretty good whilst most of the way doing 115km/h at 2000rpm

clust111.jpg

Sent from my HTC ARIA using Tapatalk II.II.IV

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
And tonight, checked fluids and washed and detailed her.

brocksta05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Acclaim
Today, got a Pink Slip for the car due to rego coming up. :(

Picked up these this morning and picture taken this morning of them. Look pretty good and basic

Cost $6.34 or alike all up for 250 of them

dce90f0e-f89e-c101.jpg

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk II

Where did you get these because I'd really like to get some!!!