Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unwanted plumbing

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
just thought id put some info it for ya to think about

plumbing,
fine for unlicenced work for a individiual is $22000.

electrical
fine for unlicenced electrical work for a individual was $37050

source was the nsw fair tradeing website.

just something for all you diy's out there to think about.

kinda makes the callout fee seem suddenly cheap doesn't it?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
prep the area as much as possible. you dont want the tradesman spending time doing things you can do yourself. get easy access to the pipes organised and clean them up as much as possible.

you should be able to get it all sorted for under $200. ring up different companies and specify that the work isnt urgent and you're happy to fit in with the plumber when he's got time at the end of the day of something. there's a huge difference to what they charge... I had one company quote almost 3 times as much as the cheapest. ask call out$ and then hourly rate (and how its charged). most good plumbers will break it down to 15-20slots. if you get one charging 1 hour blocks, tell them to get stuffed.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
I Think also, you can perform the work your self, then have a electrician go over it and confirm its safe and correct.

nup.
tradie has got to be onsite and supervising. you can prep by digging/cleaning whatever, but when it comes time to touch cables (or pipes) you cant on your own.

you can 'assist' a tradie, but thats it. the "checking your work" defence wont get you anywhere :).

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I can Understand the reason behind it, but for simple tasks i dont understand, after all we can perform the work our selfs on cars witch can be very dangerous. dont have to have a mechanic perform repairs not maintaining a car can have a much worse out come. Oh well. Also with plumbing, what about changing tap washers? does that have to be done also by a tradie? cause i change them my self.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
What constitutes "Plumbing"? How many people have fitted and plumbed up there own water tanks? I know i did....I also know a fair few people that have.

I agree with the above statement, how many people do there own brakes? Isn't that taking yours (and others) lives in your hands? Yet, people don't have to go to a brake place to have there brakes done....

cinndaz044

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v8 sv exec 044
just crimp the end of the pipe get it really hot with an oxy then melt a a bit of a brazing rod onto the pipe

if it doesnt seal you didnt get it hot enough try again.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can Understand the reason behind it, but for simple tasks i dont understand, after all we can perform the work our selfs on cars witch can be very dangerous. dont have to have a mechanic perform repairs not maintaining a car can have a much worse out come. Oh well. Also with plumbing, what about changing tap washers? does that have to be done also by a tradie? cause i change them my self.

changing washers is considered general home maintenance, and doesnt require the services of a licenced plumber. i know what youre saying with the car thing, because faulty plumbing work can be costly but isnt a direct threat to life like faulty brakes.

i myself have changed light fittings and power points on my own house and never had an issue, and even though 'its against the law' i believe its within my ability to do so. but i think the laws are there to prevent people plumbing and wiring their whole house and then wanting to connect it to the grid... and I think thats the key point.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
but im less confident with plumbing. even a small leak if you havent done it right could cause real dramas. with a faulty powerpoint or light switch, the problem is isolated and in the instance there's a short there are fail safes to a degree.

just work to your ability. but remember there's a lot of tradies out there that will charge you extra for work they have to do to 'undo' your mistakes. its always nice to watch tradies do things closely so you can learn a little bit at the same time.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
changing washers is considered general home maintenance, and doesnt require the services of a licenced plumber. i know what youre saying with the car thing, because faulty plumbing work can be costly but isnt a direct threat to life like faulty brakes.

i myself have changed light fittings and power points on my own house and never had an issue, and even though 'its against the law' i believe its within my ability to do so. but i think the laws are there to prevent people plumbing and wiring their whole house and then wanting to connect it to the grid... and I think thats the key point.

Yeah, I can understand the whole wiring up the house your self and then connecting it to the grid, but i think replacing a switch or something like that should fall into the general maintenance category also. but then again alot of people dont know where there power box and and how to switch of the power. At work working on open computer power supply, the capacitors hold charge when unplugged but still carry a big amount of voltage, been hit once my gawd it hurts lol, and some older places still dont have trip switches even though its law now to have them