Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VR V6 brakes to V8 or possible VT conversion

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I wanted a VE brake upgrade, but, I can't fit them under my current 15" rims. Thats why I'm looking at other options

I just fitted the VE brake upgrade to my VS and you're right, the minimum is 17" wheels you can fit on the front.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Doesn't the VE come out with 16" steelies?

I can fit my 16s over the vs 330mm brakes no worries. The VE upgrade is a smaller rotor.. How can 16s not fit?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
1 inch booster is going to do bugger all in the grand scheme of things. Just because it's bigger doesn't mean better.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
1 inch booster is going to do bugger all in the grand scheme of things. Just because it's bigger doesn't mean better.

Higher pedal, which is one thing I'm after.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Is all the attitude really necessary?

It's just a 6. Get some decent brake pads and some slotted rotors. Done.

Just because it's a 6, does that mean it shouldn't stop as well as an 8?

I'm after a 1" master. Gives slightly less pedal feel, but a higher pedal. It's a personal choice as to what I like.

Why? Are you a midget who can't reach the pedals?

No. I personally prefer a higher pedal. It gives me more confidence when I do go for the brakes. Again, personal choice.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Wow, another brake upgrade thread. Who'd have thought.

1 inch booster is going to do bugger all in the grand scheme of things.

If only to increase pedal effort.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
No attitude here just plain facts. You have a V6 which the stock brakes seem to be fine for countless thousands of people yet you think it's not good enough. I understand wanting better and thus I suggested a solution.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Could someone please clarify why there is a need for a slightly different master cylinder for abs and non abs?

I would assume on the abs cars, that because there is only a front and rear brake line to the abs module where it gets split to each wheel, that the abs module would control all the brake line pressures under abs situations and there'd be no difference to the master cylinder.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Could someone please clarify why there is a need for a slightly different master cylinder for abs and non abs?

I would assume on the abs cars, that because there is only a front and rear brake line to the abs module where it gets split to each wheel, that the abs module would control all the brake line pressures under abs situations and there'd be no difference to the master cylinder.

Uh because you need a line coming from your master cylinder to your abs module in order to get fluid to it. You are wanting to upgrade because the feel of the brake isn't good enough. But you only want to upgrade your brake booster and master cylinder. You do know that without doing your rotors as well you really aren't going to see much difference?