Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Tranny help needed..

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
My tranny has been slipping a little bit going from 1st to 2nd other then that it runs good, I just took it down to get ti servied and the guy rang me back to say my tranny is screwed and it will cost me 1600 for a new one..
He said something about the filter being split and there being clutch material in it...
Should I take it to somebody else and get it rechecked I've never been to this guy before so I dont know whether to take him for face value or get a second opinion I mean the had only had the car 20 minutes before he rang me and said it was screwed...
There is no way i can afford a new tranny at the moment..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
He should have had it for more than 20 mins as to remove the oil pan they have to wait till the oil cools otherwise everything is VERY hot. If what he says is true (and you should eyeball it) and you want to take it to someone else, then he will have to reinstall the pan and fill with oil - this will cost you $$$ and then you still have the problem. If you want to just live with it, get him to put a new filter, gasket and oil in it and this should cost the same as a service but like I said before the problem may still be there. As to whether you can trust the mechanic is something for you to decide. Ask questions and make sure you see and understand the fault. Good Luck.

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
I told him to repalce the filter put the pan back on and fill it up, I rang another place to get a trany quote and he said 1550 he did ask me what the problem was, he too was dubious about the amount of time the guy had the car for.. He said bring it in and Ill have a look for free he said all he needs to do is take it for a drive and he will tell me whats wrong with it..
So I'm taking it to him tomorrow morning to have a look at it...
Last thing I needed was to get the tranny done Igotta do my brakes, engine mounts and shocks as well I dont need the tranny bill on top..
Hell for the price tranny is going to cost I could have fixed everything else I need to do.. :b::cry:

J

jurrassitol

sorry to say but if an auto out of a vs or vr is slipping chances are its ****ed, but 1600 sounds likea good deal i paid over 2 for mine in my vs

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Last edited:

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
The ebay guy doesn't say what vehicle its from or whether its 12pin or 13pins/ six or eight cylinder. Too many variables. That quotes about right for a VS coomodore box with warranty. As a mechanic I only use an ATRA (Auto transmission rebuilders association member) when getting another box for my customers cars. They give an excellent warranty and they pay me if any problems occur but they never do. Even the symtoms you quote tell me the box if cactus. If you go secondhand you must match up all the numbers from the box and check how much warranty you receive. You can PM me if you want anymore help with it.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
TI0350 said:
My tranny has been slipping a little bit going from 1st to 2nd other then that it runs good, I just took it down to get ti servied and the guy rang me back to say my tranny is screwed and it will cost me 1600 for a new one..
He said something about the filter being split and there being clutch material in it...
Should I take it to somebody else and get it rechecked I've never been to this guy before so I dont know whether to take him for face value or get a second opinion I mean the had only had the car 20 minutes before he rang me and said it was screwed...
There is no way i can afford a new tranny at the moment..
your gearbox can be rebuilt for a $1000 at micheals autos (padstow)
near gow street 3 month/20000k warranty

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
An interesting deal here but be quick I want dibs on the engine.

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vi&i=213444612

The Magna has a similar button used for overtaking commonly called the "attack button", it does in fact hold the tranny in gears longer, after all "I only owned one" the commo changes the fuel given, but heh don't beleive me my bro just works for GMH, as parts manager I guess he knows squat.

Ever noticed that if driven at the same speed using both eco and power modes one will generally use more fuel, interesting fact.

VRAddiction

its never fast enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS Manual Ute
hako said:
He should have had it for more than 20 mins as to remove the oil pan they have to wait till the oil cools otherwise everything is VERY hot.

im a mechanic and it takes me 15 mins max to drop the oil and filter on a tranny and when your working with hot stuff thats why they invented mechanics gloves.... ;)