Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using a VX SS as a donor for Toyota Hilux build

COA 1 or COA 2

• COA 1

• COA 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I'm looking into my future retirement and what I want as a daily.
Currently my VX SS is running a blown LS1 with built 4l60e.
I'm contemplating using it as a donor for the engine and trans into a 1994-2002 Toyota Hilux.
A little Hilux ute is handy for stuff, and all I need is 2 seats and somewhere for a dog.
I want something different i.e. modified good -standard bad.
It would be along the lines of a mini truch style of build, on bags, and only used for daily duties and cruising.

A supercharged LS1 running the 4l60e slush box into a little ute still ticks all the boxes for something fun, and there are kits out there to make it fit.

Finances and courses of action.
COA 1. Sell VX SS as is, with this weird market I should get between $20-30k, and then find a Hilux to build, a clean old Hilux can be purchased for between $8-10 grand, but, it will though have alot of miles and need every bush, suspension part, engine, transmission and drive train rebuilt, auxiliary bits refreshed/rebuilt
COA 2. Buy a clean old Hilux and use the LS1 with the HTV2300 and 4l60e as doner engine and trans, then sell the VX SS roller.

Anyway, just spit balling
Nooo, don't ruin your VX!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Have you priced a LS lately. then add in the cost of a rebuild, I think I would be hard pressed buying a LS and rebuilding it for under $20k.
My current engine is currently good to go, maybe down the track some new stock pistons and some good rods could be in order, but currently they are not needed.

My power goal is where the car is now, around 500hp and 850nm atw, people are running this and more power on old 300k km engines, for a while at least.

If at a later date the engine needs a refresh, so be it.

I'm actually not a fan of rebuilding health engines, I've run a few built engines over the years, and find they don't have the longevity of something with a stock bottom end that is still within its power limits.

At 600 hp at the fly the LS1 is still in its happy place, as long as the tune is on point.

Sometimes, from my experience with daily drivers that I use as track/drag cars, opening up a bottom end can let the the "magic out".

Yeah, out prices obviously differ with what you would find and what I would.

I thought I'd throw the suggestion out there as something to consider, so ultimately the path you take is yours...

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
A v8 hilux was once regarded as one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road .I still don't like any thing with torsion bars. Can a v8 hilux be regersitered any more that will eat some money on engineer approvals

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
A v8 hilux was once regarded as one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road .I still don't like any thing with torsion bars. Can a v8 hilux be regersitered any more that will eat some money on engineer approvals
That is why I will engage and engineer prior to the build.

If he says it cannot be done then I will look at other options, if he says I need to change this or that, or look at other power plants then I'll do that.

In the end the car will require an engineer cert and to be able to clear the pits and be registered in NSW.

Who knows, at this point in time, I haven't a clue.

I find the research and stuff prior to a build fun, this build is still a few years away anyway, but, it will probably take that long to hammer out all the requirements and details for making a Hilux ute "not slow".

And the cost to engage a engineer when building a modified car isn't really that expensive, the expensive bit is modifying to the required specifications.

I've done this before when fitting a RB25/30 into a R33 Skyline.

My mate did it when fitting a LS1 into a R33 Skyline.

Patience, time and money gets stuff done.

Last edited: