Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using a VX SS as a donor for Toyota Hilux build

COA 1 or COA 2

• COA 1

• COA 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'm looking into my future retirement and what I want as a daily.
Currently my VX SS is running a blown LS1 with built 4l60e.
I'm contemplating using it as a donor for the engine and trans into a 1994-2002 Toyota Hilux.
A little Hilux ute is handy for stuff, and all I need is 2 seats and somewhere for a dog.
I want something different i.e. modified good -standard bad.
It would be along the lines of a mini truch style of build, on bags, and only used for daily duties and cruising.

A supercharged LS1 running the 4l60e slush box into a little ute still ticks all the boxes for something fun, and there are kits out there to make it fit.

Finances and courses of action.
COA 1. Sell VX SS as is, with this weird market I should get between $20-30k, and then find a Hilux to build, a clean old Hilux can be purchased for between $8-10 grand, but, it will though have alot of miles and need every bush, suspension part, engine, transmission and drive train rebuilt, auxiliary bits refreshed/rebuilt
COA 2. Buy a clean old Hilux and use the LS1 with the HTV2300 and 4l60e as doner engine and trans, then sell the VX SS roller.

Anyway, just spit balling

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
OH = entertaining !!!!
Interesting !!!
Personally = guessing by time selling/ know what the condition of supercharged LS1 and driveline is like .
I think I'd rather transplant known running gear into a reworked platform ( can mod and spruce up platform before swapping drive line !!!
Think I'd go above way !!!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'd be looking at buying a motor, gearbox and Hilux with the funding through the sale of the VX, if funds are limited

Having a motor and gearbox sitting there, gives you the opportunity build it as a fresh unit ready to slot into the Hilux, rather than pulling your current motor and gearbox out with the possibility of having to re-build it down the track.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Agree....known driveline better than unknown.....especially given the amount already invested in it.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
OH = entertaining !!!!
Interesting !!!
Personally = guessing by time selling/ know what the condition of supercharged LS1 and driveline is like .
I think I'd rather transplant known running gear into a reworked platform ( can mod and spruce up platform before swapping drive line !!!
Think I'd go above way !!!
The LS1 has just on 150k km, the only internal mods are LS7 lifters, small cam and cromoly push rods, the last comp test was good, and it doesn't use any oil, the catch can/air oil seperator only every has about 20 odd ml in it after 5k km, so basically a just run in good LS, LOL.

The 4l60e is a Craig's Automatics full house build from 2 years ago, which gets serviced every year, and runs a trans cooler, the fluid is still nice and red and doesn't smell "burnt" when changed after 12 months of use and abuse.

Ack on refurbishing the new platform, it would cop a full chassis refresh, and required parts like the diff, brakes, suspension etc upgraded to support the power prior to throwing in the power plant and trans.

I want reliability first, power second.

I will also engage an engineer prior to the build to ensure compliance for NSW.

Basically, build the Hilux to meet requirements while still daily driving the SS, then, when all the ducks are lined up, drop in the LS, trans and new fancy pants tail shaft to suit, chop up the OEM ECM to suit, or, get a Haltech 2500 to run it, then off to get it certified by the engineer, run it over the pits for inspection and emissions, then Bob's your uncle, new daily toy to see me through retirement with a fun, reliable, practical toy for daily driving and cruising.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You looking at a 4WD Hilux or 2WD Hilux?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Agree....known driveline better than unknown.....especially given the amount already invested in it.

That was my thinking too.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'd be looking at buying a motor, gearbox and Hilux with the funding through the sale of the VX, if funds are limited

Having a motor and gearbox sitting there, gives you the opportunity build it as a fresh unit ready to slot into the Hilux, rather than pulling your current motor and gearbox out with the possibility of having to re-build it down the track.
Have you priced a LS lately. then add in the cost of a rebuild, I think I would be hard pressed buying a LS and rebuilding it for under $20k.
My current engine is currently good to go, maybe down the track some new stock pistons and some good rods could be in order, but currently they are not needed.

My power goal is where the car is now, around 500hp and 850nm atw, people are running this and more power on old 300k km engines, for a while at least.

If at a later date the engine needs a refresh, so be it.

I'm actually not a fan of rebuilding health engines, I've run a few built engines over the years, and find they don't have the longevity of something with a stock bottom end that is still within its power limits.

At 600 hp at the fly the LS1 is still in its happy place, as long as the tune is on point.

Sometimes, from my experience with daily drivers that I use as track/drag cars, opening up a bottom end can let the the "magic out".