Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using different grades of fuel

kunalraiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
The only reason I'am so suspecious is because everyone here swears by the name of BP Ultimate,and I frankly didn't find much change in my mileage or performance.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
The only reason I'am so suspecious is because everyone here swears by the name of BP Ultimate,and I frankly didn't find much change in my mileage or performance.

And you won't. You have a standard V6 tuned to run on 91 so you're not going to see any benefits from running higher octane. Most claims are simply marketing rubbish. And I don't buy into the hole V-Power is better than Ultimate or vice versa. I've used them all over the past 4 years and there is no discernible difference between any of them.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I disagree, I run ultimate every tank and on several occasions Ive needed fuel and havent been near a BP and have used Caltex 98ron and every time the car has pinged its ass off.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Does anyone know if the price difference between E10 and 95-98 is going to change when 91 disappears ? I reckon the premiums are both overpriced , as i doubt they cost much more to produce, if anything.

oscarmanalpha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS wagon 6 man
I use BP ultimate in my car. Also used it in the Honda I had before.

The lower grade fuels have a slower throttle response, and that just makes me put my foot down more, so in the end theirs no economy in the cheaper fuels for me.

Cheers

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Just on this fuels thing I've noticed the last couple of weeks that the car is a bit sulfurish smelling on the Mobil 92ron. I usually alternate between the 92 and 98. Car runs rougher on the 92 but I like the sound of it down low on the 92 and tend to flog it less as I keep it lower in the rev range. Much smoother on the 98but I give it a harder time 'cos it accelerates quicker...it's a viscious circle. Getting back to my prob was wondering if the smell is more likely to be a fuel issue or a catalytic converter issue? Or a tune issue?

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I have had good results with BP Ultimate, the only prob for me is the 200km round trip to get it. :bang:

Sorry just looked up and saw how old this thread was.

Cheers.

Haluigi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ssv g8 ute
Tis rather old ey mike haha

I use shell v power because that's on my way to work. I notice it tends to jump around when slowing down in second til stopping. Wondering if it could be te fuel? I had it tuned with a tank of Bp ultimate in it so I'm wondering....

T

tommySV6Ute

Seeing this is ressurected, anyone notices their exhaust tips (inner surfaces) changing colour?

With a lean carby tune you would get white deposits, my pop always said this was a sign of a good tune, obviously a very lean one. Can the mixture of an injected motor (SIDI in my case) be altered by the owner or is it a computer tune related adjustment?

Or with the current gen of engine, is it one of these different octane fuels/ethanol causing the white exhaust which I saw on a light blue VZ the other day.??