Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 fuel economy and performance

death starfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
Broken pushbike - 13 months till P plates
Hi I'm new, and still have 13 lousy months until getting my P plates, but am seriously looking for cars for the end of the year. I want to know how much more petrol the LS1 uses than the V6. As I'm living in the ACT, I doubt many restrictions will be made for P platers. As I will probably not be using the car for any racing (though Wakefield Park is only approx 80km away) would the V8 be overkill?
Thank you for your help.
death starfire
PS, I like the "Check if already posted" button next to the title! it helps save heaps of time.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I think the ls1 is better on fuel than the old 5.0ltr(which comes in the S1 VT's and previous models back to 1990ish). Its alloy so its heaps lighter than the old cast iron 5ltr block. A bloke at work has a vr 5ltr and his daughter has a G3 and it does better than his vr on fuel. But a v6 will save around 4ltrs per 100k's over the v8 id say on rough. But its all in how you drive, you can flog it and get 18ltrs per hundred if you want.

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
Well in my experience from owning a vy v6 ecotech and a 2000 caprice ls1 there is not much difference between the two. I use to get 15L per 100 with the v6 and with the v8 im getting 16L per hundred normally.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
mine uses a fair bit but might be my foot to firewall syndrome... out on the highway at 100kms i sit on between 9l/100k to 11 depending on how flat area is... im sure that will change alot when my new diff gears and stally go in haha

bking7803

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt acclaim wagon
We get about 770 k's per tank out of our ecotech vt wagon only running premium, so thats fairly good economy out of a big heavy car. We also noticed that if we dont hold the trigger on the fuel nozzle in all the way when refilling we are getting alot more fuel than air compared to holding the trigger in flat out. We were only getting about 550 k's before so it shows how much air you pay for.

Galixia

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 CBR1000RR & G6E Turbo
in our house we have a VN Calais V8 5.0ltr, VT Berlina V6 Ecotech and a WH Statesman V8 LS1 our current fuel averages from the dash display is around: VN 13lt/100km, VT 15lt/100km and WH 12lt/100km... i recently drove my WH from Melbourne to Adelaide full car of people and a full boot of luggage, i have a 75lt fuel tank and i only used about 3 quarters of a tank of petrol.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
We also noticed that if we dont hold the trigger on the fuel nozzle in all the way when refilling we are getting alot more fuel than air compared to holding the trigger in flat out. We were only getting about 550 k's before so it shows how much air you pay for.

ummm how do you figure? seriously think about this.. Ur saying that the petrol pump, pumps air into your tank?!?! wtf or that air gets trapped in your tank if u pour it too fast??

there is a breather hose at the top of the tank that vents the air as you fill with fuel back into the filler pipe, which is then vented out the neck. what ever fuel u put in, it displaces the air out the breather.

the only thing holding the trigger at half open does is let it flow in slower therefore not creating as much fuel vaper. instead of filling 50ltrs u put in 50ltrs coz 1ltr has turned to vaper and is wasted to the atmosphere.

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
Really depends on the condition of the car/engine, you're driving style and what sort of driving you do (city, highway, mixed etc).

If you compare a stock ECOTEC and a stock LS1 the ECOTEC is more economical but then I have seen heaps of people on here with LS1s who after a few mods (exhaust, mafless tune, OTRCAI) get similar if not better economy than the ECOTEC guys when they drive easy.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
I adv atm is 14.1 in my ls1 my old vt berlina v6 was 16.5 i think it was. Way better in my opinion. the old 5L as well was 16.1 I think. and like said it depends on ur foot. My car has 245K and yeh